Pipefitters 597 appprenticeship..

I took the local 597 pipefitters test for an apprenticeship in January. They Had about 3,000 canidates take the apptitude test for an appreticeship . When I went to pick up my test results this week they handed me an envelope that said my score had qualified me for an interview in about three weeks. How many people get an interview ? What are my chances in this economic environment.

Depends on education + work experience + test score + interview score.

It's really tough right now to get an apprenticeship. My local only took a few guys last time and two of them had engineering degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
    What are my chances in this economic environment.
    Zero if you don't try

I took the test as well and secured an interview (so did my younger brother). I heard some rumors that they are interviewing the top 30 percent out of the applicants and hiring a small portion of them.

Any idea what happens if you interview well and are accepted? Someone told me you are issued your number and then when your number comes up you go to work. I understand that part, but then they said they think the number is only good until the next test. Is this true? Do you have to test every time this comes around or will you still be on the list but possibly passed by someone else?

Good luck!

oops

Thumbs up 597 union

Quote Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
    I took the local 597 pipefitters test for an apprenticeship in January. They Had about 3,000 canidates take the apptitude test for an appreticeship . When I went to pick up my test results this week they handed me an envelope that said my score had qualified me for an interview in about three weeks. How many people get an interview ? What are my chances in this economic environment.
    congrats to you miles , i'm a retired 597 fitter & servicetech 39.5 yrs. grandson & stepson also fitters , it's just really slow now , but aprentices usually are layoff proof.....Not sure about the interview but one small word of advice , do not miss any classes because the guys that run it are ferocious about attendance and punctuality... My stepson almost got kicked out cause he got a little cocky and thought he could take it easy , had to really work hard to not get kicked out , he then was at the top of his class.....great schools & pay good luck to you....Jack
    B[COLOR=a friend is one who knows us , but loves us anyway

Good luck guys.

I know three years ago they took 100 service apprentices . 597 placed one of the guys in our company and I have to tell you if you make it make sure you don't miss any classes . I went though the back door 25 years ago and wished they had the program back than . Service is slow now until the weather is warmer to fill the tower's. Good luck on the personal interview .

I'm also gonna have an interview from them, what kind of questions should I expect for an apprentice position?

good luck,I'm sure it will work out for u guys
    work to live not live to work.