Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Also I'm assuming that if you live in snow country that the condenser unit is raised off the ground three feet?

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Also I'm assuming that if you live in snow country that the condenser unit is raised off the ground three feet?
    I don't live in snow country, might get one, maybe two a year. You can see the height of my unit and what it looks like frosted over here. This picture was taken during the morning after a hard night frost.

Looks like normal operation from that picture. The frost lines are determined by where the refrigerant feeds into the coil and how much heat it's picking up.
    Where there is no frost is where the energy or heat in this case is being absorbed. When time and Delta T parameters are meet it will defrost. Does the unit heat the house O.K.? If it was completely frosted you would not be absorbing very much energy.
    Is that a Payne, Bryant , Day 7 Night all the same unit?

Looks like normal operation from that picture. The frost lines are determined by where the refrigerant feeds into the coil and how much heat it's picking up.
    Where there is no frost is where the energy or heat in this case is being absorbed. When time and Delta T parameters are meet it will defrost. Does the unit heat the house O.K.? If it was completely frosted you would not be absorbing very much energy.
    Is that a Payne, Bryant , Day 7 Night all the same unit?
    Yes it does a fairly decent job heating the house, really heats well when the outdoor temps are 35 and higher. It's a Payne, why?

Because I see a lot of them driving to work in the A.M and they look to operate just like yours. Some brand frost from the bottom up and some from the middle out, it all depends how they feed refrigerant into the coil or coils. That brand does not have one continuous coil, it is really three separate coils that's one reason it looks like that when frosted. When part of the coil gets frosted it forces more air through other parts which keeps it from frosting are quick.
    I like all the open space you have, no load neighbors.

Because I see a lot of them driving to work in the A.M and they look to operate just like yours. Some brand frost from the bottom up and some from the middle out, it all depends how they feed refrigerant into the coil or coils.

Agreed.

If this particular brand is suppose to have that pattern then all is well.

I'm used to seeing a more uniform pattern.

As stated in my previous post, if it's heating the same as always then no worries. From the sounds of the original post you seemed worried like it wasn't working right. If you have any doubts you need to call a technician.
    It's not exactly a newer unit after all.

Emergency Heat should be a selection on your thermostat. It will disable your heat pump and only run electric heat.

If you turn the thermostat up more then "X" amount of degrees it will bring on the electric heat as supplemental heat to help out the heat pump.

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

Quote Originally Posted by smoke View Post
    Agreed.

It's not exactly a newer unit after all.

~smoke~
    My unit is 7 yrs. old, and by the way until I started reading this board I had no clue that they should be professionally cleaned/tuned every so often. I have someone lined up to come service it in two weeks. When he comes, I'll get him to look at the picture that I shared here, tell me about my frosting over concerns, and get him to look into that as well.

Should I continue to flip on the emergency heat during cold/wet conditions until then? During the day I don't have a problem with it frosting over and staying that way, it seems to happen just at night.

Did that make any sense?

That unit looks older then 7 to me.Was it sitting around for years? I was going to say 15.I have seen them leak freon at the top.

Bad ice

I think you need to have a qualified tech check your defrost time/operation and maybe the placement of defrost t'stat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12