Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Heat Pump + Snow = ?

In my first post I showed where my unit has been frosting over.

I have noticed that my unit is defrosting normally when the temps are between 30 and up, however once it dips into the low 20's it frost over and stays frosted over. This mainly occurs at night when the sun doesn't do its thing and help warm the unit up.

We are now going through blizzard like conditions and I just walked out and noticed that along with the snow build-up on the unit (grill and top) that my coils are seriously frosted over again. I assume this is due to moisture being present in the air. My question is should I be concerned and is there anything I should be doing to prevent the frost from damaging the unit?

Quote Originally Posted by sae225000 View Post
    In my first post I showed where my unit has been frosting over.

I have noticed that my unit is defrosting normally when the temps are between 30 and up, however once it dips into the low 20's it frost over and stays frosted over. This mainly occurs at night when the sun doesn't do its thing and help warm the unit up.

We are now going through blizzard like conditions and I just walked out and noticed that along with the snow build-up on the unit (grill and top) that my coils are seriously frosted over again. I assume this is due to moisture being present in the air. My question is should I be concerned and is there anything I should be doing to prevent the frost from damaging the unit?
    You should call a service comany to fix your unit.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    You should call a service comany to fix your unit.
    It's 8:30 on a Saturday night, what should I be doing until I can get someone to look at it?

Quote Originally Posted by sae225000 View Post
    It's 8:30 on a Saturday night, what should I be doing until I can get someone to look at it?
    If you online right now take a look at what is hitting us to get an idea of the weather . . . I'm an hour northeast of Memphis

Set your stat to emergency heat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Set your stat to emergency heat.
    Please explain what this will do?

I set it to emergency heat and noticed that I had to set the thermostat to where the bottom bulb's mercury triggered the unit to come on. The top bulb did not activate the unit has it normally does.

HVAC Pro nailed it in the other thread.

The uneven frosting pattern looks to be a restriction.

Run it on Em. Heat until a technician can diagnose the problem.
    If it's providing heat then you only run the risk of damaging the compressor due to the restriction depending on the location.

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

Quote Originally Posted by smoke View Post
    HVAC Pro nailed it in the other thread.

The uneven frosting pattern looks to be a restriction.

Run it on Em. Heat until a technician can diagnose the problem.
    If it's providing heat then you only run the risk of damaging the compressor due to the restriction depending on the location.

~smoke~
    Can you please explain restriction to me?

It will use your strip heaters only for heat.
    This will prevent it from freezing the coil solid, and harming the compressor until a tech can look at it tomorrow or Monday.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    It will use your strip heaters only for heat.
    This will prevent it from freezing the coil solid, and harming the compressor until a tech can look at it tomorrow or Monday.
    Should I have to set the thermostat at a higher temperature before it turns on when in emergency mode?

Yes, on older mechanical stats. And some newer digitals, you have to.
    Contractor locator map

The stat can be wired properly to bring on electric strips as 1st stage.

Running any heat pump in a blizzard will result in problems. That's one of the purposes of emergency heat. When the snow stops, make sure the snow is off the blades and grille and go back to regular heat.

If it's keeping temp setting in the house don't worry about it, it's normal to frost up to near 80-90% of the coil. Not knowing if it's a demand defrost control or not it's hard to say how much frost is normal. You just do not want ice on the coil. Shift it to cool mode until the frost disappears, that's what defrost is. Now it will blow cold air inside due to no heat strip tempering the air in the house but it will defrost the coil. In Florida some times we will spray it with water to defrost the coil with the power off but probably not a good idea if you have a blizzard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast