Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm Army, Fort Riley KS. I've deployed with 3rd ID Fort Stewart, GA and I've been to Afghanistan supporting 10th Mountain out of Drum in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by va302stang View Post
    With the new motor came a new capacitor, so the two capacitor set-up is now gone. He ran a jumper across the 2 and 4 on the relay (high speed fan) and the blower fan ran. Like I said though, the outside unit does not come on, nor does the aux heat coils. The thermostat is new (DEC 08) and has been working fine, I don't think it is the problem but I guess it could be. Thanks for the replies so far. So if they try to hand me a huge bill what should I say? I don't mind paying for a new blower motor and capacitor, I am scheduled to deploy to Iraq again this fall so it is cheap peace of mind. I don't want my wife to have to go through this without me here. It is just the apparent lack of systematic troubleshooting (i.e. parts changing) and the numerous trips back and forth that kills me.
    Thanks again.
    -Matt
    If you don't want your wife to deal with this again. You need to consider replacing the unit. You're not doing her any favors leaving her with such an old POS.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

30 years old huh? that is pretty old like said before. im surprised they didnt try to sale you a whole new unit.

Sounds like a lack of diagnostic skills. Electric 101
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by james80031 View Post
    My old unit (Army) just re-deployed for their 3rd tour.
    Had I re-enlisted....I would have at least 5 tours under my belt by now....

2 will do just fine.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by va302stang View Post
    I'm Army, Fort Riley KS. I've deployed with 3rd ID Fort Stewart, GA and I've been to Afghanistan supporting 10th Mountain out of Drum in NY.
    Part of Drum used to be my great-grandpa's farm. They still call that area Barlow Flats (for my grandpa Billy Barlow).

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Had I re-enlisted....I would have at least 5 tours under my belt by now....

2 will do just fine.
    Did you use any of you GI Bill money?

Quote Originally Posted by MYLEVL View Post
    30 years old huh? that is pretty old like said before.
    Not really, I own a rental house that is still doing fine with its original 1948 floor heater. The regulator just went out – after replacing it, it’s good for another 61 years.

Engineered obsolescence wasn’t required back then for job security.

Brian

Did they by chance check for holes in the heat exchanger while they were working on your unit?
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Well, the guy came back yesterday with the boss. They fiddled around and determined that it was the transformer so they left to go get one. They came back about an hour or more later with what they described as a universal (110/208/240) transformer but they seemed to lack confidence in hooking it up. When they flipped the breaker I heard a loud pop, some scrambling and cussing. I let them keep working at it and an hour or so later they came and got me. They had taken a 110 volt transformer (my unit takes a 240 volt) hooked it to a plug, plugged it in and connected it to the heat pump. They explained that this demonstrated the transformer was in fact at fault because the system functioned fine when supplied with 24(+) volts. They declared that the other transformer had blown for reasons unknown to them. They said it could be a short anywhere in the system ( I know this is B.S. because there is less than a foot of wiring between the breakers on the unit and the transformer) or it could have been a defective transformer. I asked if they could possibley have wired it up wrong but they said there was no way. So they said they could uninstall the motor, capacitor, and relay and put my old stuff back or I could keep them and they would cut me a deal. I said the stuff is old, the blower works much better what kind of a deal are we talking about? They said $x plus tax. I said fine (frankly I just wanted them gone) and they asked if I thought I could order and install a transformer. I said yes and I can. Unlike them I understand basic electricity and I can decipher a wiring diagram.
    So I have ordered a transformer that matches the original and I'll put it in when it gets here. I also went back behind them last night and soldered up the connections for the new motor and checked everything else over. Two days and over $x dollars and I still have no heat. Good thing I have a fireplace with blower and a couple space heaters.
    More to follow.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-02-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Removed prices.

thats sad to hear that even the boss couldnt figure something like this out. If I were you, I wouldnt have paid them anything as they haven't fixed the problem yet. Your still w/o heat. At this point, I would just find the orginial installers of the equip. or find another company. Good luck, and I hope everything turns out ok in the end.

p.s.
    I would also reccomend that you not install the transformer, leave that to the pro's.
    "Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential"

Winston Churchill

p.s.
    I would also reccomend that you not install the transformer, leave that to the pro's.

Got it, no DIY. Bad homeowner.

Tell me if I got this straight...
    They installed a transformer. That transformer tripped a circuit and shorted itself out. They think it may be something else in the circuit that has caused the transformer to fail. They then tell you that you can install a new transformer on your own, in the same circuit that caused the last transformer to fail and when the cause of the last transformer failure is still unknown...

It sounds to me like you need to call someone else in to fix the problem.

... And when that new company comes get them to inspect that 30 year old heat exchanger for holes and cracks. There is no point in spending money on this unit if the heat exchanger is no good. By the time you fix the no heat problem and a heat exchanger you may want to consider buying a new unit.

Just my two cents...
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast