Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rbeck View Post
    I might as well add my 2 cents on NATE and training.
    I have done training the last 7 years. I have found there are good young and older techs. There are some not too good young and older techs. There are people who can learn in seminars and some that use field experience as their seminar. The only down side to learning in the field is when being taught by others in the field and you also learn their old bad habits. The classroom will teach the proper way it should be done. That does not mean it is the only way to do something. An instructor should teach the whys of why something is done not just how. Take a look at the idea of pumping away from the expansion tank. This came about almost 50 years ago. There are many who do not do it today. Return side circulators may have been the way they were taught or the way they always have done it. An instructors job is to teach why it must be moved. The circulators have changed, so old 3 piece circulators removed air with water volume and the wet rotor pumps must do it by adding pressure to the system. If the instructor just says it must be moved the why was not answered.
    The industry is changing so rapidly today we need schools to keep up with the changes. I see in my classes some people do not apply what they learn when I need to visit the problem job site after the class. The class gives you the basics and a better understanding of how it is supposed to work but no school will take the place of, after learning the basis building you own troubleshooting skills and fact finding missions.

Very well put.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCool View Post
    Why would we want to MAKE it work. All you're doing is letting some third party come in, take your money to give you tests, and convince the whole public that if you're not certified through them, you shouldn't be allowed to touch their equipment! All so some big fat man can live in his mansion and you pay his bills. Count me out! I don't need an outsider to tell me what I know!

Very well said and I agree with this statement. I have hired a few Nate techs and they couldn't fix anything. All they knew how to do was take a test. I'll stick with my years of experience.
    Its a good Life!

Quote Originally Posted by m kilgore View Post
    Very well said and I agree with this statement. I have hired a few Nate techs and they couldn't fix anything. All they knew how to do was take a test. I'll stick with my years of experience.
    Anyone can take a test, anyone can be The President but do they really know anything? Are they really qualified? It's the devil in the details.

What was the question again?

I guess the question is how do I figure out which of these techs knows what he's talking about. Every time I call another tech for an opinion, it costs me .
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-04-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Removed price

Hey Charles

Was your return plenum issue resolved? If so what was the issue? Too small of a return?

Yes, too small and leaky too. It's a 14" x 18" oval on a 2.5 ton system.

Is your vibration during heat? If so, the undersized return should be considered as a possible culprit.

The vibration in the lineset occurs only during heat. The hum from the air handler occurs year round and was cured when we pulled the filter. Lineset vibration improved substantially too. Main question now is why the compressor is pulling too many amps in heat mode only. Was the compressor damaged, or is the reversing valve sticky?

High head pressure from your dirty filter (assuming) could cause damage to the compressor. The indoor coil is probably dirty as well. If it is the reversing valve then the pressures would be off (high suction) bypassing refrigerant. Sticking would cause it to stay in the heating mode, your brand I believe still energizes the reversing valve in the heating mode. If sticking half way or just off the heating mode then you would be cooling, based upon the brand I know. I tested this by cutting the end off the reversing valve and blew into it shifting the valve slowly. I plan to hook up a air compressor to simulate a closure pressure.
    Granted Nate isn't an end all, but shouldn't we test to prove we are improving the industry that has run wild with hacks on all brands.

Quote Originally Posted by charles2 View Post
    The vibration in the lineset occurs only during heat.

Main question now is why the compressor is pulling too many amps in heat mode only. Was the compressor damaged, or is the reversing valve sticky?

I'm going to choose what's behind door number 3...

Have a service tech check your charge.

I ran across a unit the other day that was vibrating the lines set during the heating mode and 5 min after the unit shut off the line set would vibrate so hard it would bang against the unit.

5lb 4oz factory charge in a 1.5 ton unit....
    I took out an excess 5lb 15oz
    perfect sc and sh.
    Discharge line temp was 92.5f before I got started...

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

Sounds to me that no tech that steps foot in your house has a chance, no matter how well qualified he is

Has any tech checked static pressure?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast