disappointed in NATE techs - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Just goes to show, NATE does not a good technician make. Takes lots of other stuff. Ask friends or relatives in your area for their suggestions on a good company.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    An independent survey,showed NATE techs had 20% less recalls.

I think this was done by Service Round Table.

No ,it's not the end all,but it's a good measure,IMHO.

Dash.

Would you know if that is a recent survey.
    Or was it done early on?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I think it was two to three years ago.

Thanks.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

NATE helps

But NATE nor 35 years doesn't mean that you aren't a hack.

I've seen techs with 35 years don't want to learn and are sloppy and lazy in their work.

The hope of NATE is encouraging one to keep learning IMO.

NATE nor 35 years can't stop a bad day nor Assure skills and work ethic.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Holy crap I think this thread started out as a vibration problem and it turned into a NATE bashing party!

It would be nice to have some sort of certification like auto mechanics have ASE and such but it will only work if everyone makes it work.

About this vibration problem...

How about some more variables to consider. How about taking a picture of the outdoor unit so we can have a look-see at the install.

I was called out once for a vibration from an outdoor unit and it was because the new construction builder mounted the outdoor unit on a platform that mounted to the foundation of the house 2 feet above the pitched yard.

It was just vibration transfer through the metal through the concrete and into her floor joists.

Some common sense can go a long way.

back on topic.

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

Quote Originally Posted by smoke View Post
    Holy crap I think this thread started out as a vibration problem and it turned into a NATE bashing party!

It would be nice to have some sort of certification like auto mechanics have ASE and such but it will only work if everyone makes it work.

About this vibration problem...

How about some more variables to consider. How about taking a picture of the outdoor unit so we can have a look-see at the install.

I was called out once for a vibration from an outdoor unit and it was because the new construction builder mounted the outdoor unit on a platform that mounted to the foundation of the house 2 feet above the pitched yard.

It was just vibration transfer through the metal through the concrete and into her floor joists.

Some common sense can go a long way.

back on topic.

~smoke~
    They have it already, Its called NATE!

Quote Originally Posted by smoke View Post

Why would we want to MAKE it work. All you're doing is letting some third party come in, take your money to give you tests, and convince the whole public that if you're not certified through them, you shouldn't be allowed to touch their equipment! All so some big fat man can live in his mansion and you pay his bills. Count me out! I don't need an outsider to tell me what I know!

Twilli used to be NATE
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli used to be NATE
    Not-All-That-Educated?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I might as well add my 2 cents on NATE and training.
    I have done training the last 7 years. I have found there are good young and older techs. There are some not too good young and older techs. There are people who can learn in seminars and some that use field experience as their seminar. The only down side to learning in the field is when being taught by others in the field and you also learn their old bad habits. The classroom will teach the proper way it should be done. That does not mean it is the only way to do something. An instructor should teach the whys of why something is done not just how. Take a look at the idea of pumping away from the expansion tank. This came about almost 50 years ago. There are many who do not do it today. Return side circulators may have been the way they were taught or the way they always have done it. An instructors job is to teach why it must be moved. The circulators have changed, so old 3 piece circulators removed air with water volume and the wet rotor pumps must do it by adding pressure to the system. If the instructor just says it must be moved the why was not answered.
    The industry is changing so rapidly today we need schools to keep up with the changes. I see in my classes some people do not apply what they learn when I need to visit the problem job site after the class. The class gives you the basics and a better understanding of how it is supposed to work but no school will take the place of, after learning the basis building you own troubleshooting skills and fact finding missions.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast