Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Trane XL19i 2TWZ9030/XC95-60BTU/5 ton coil problem

I just had a new Trane system installed. The install company can't seem to fix the Heat Pump vibration and pulse throbing sound when the 2nd stage compressor is running. The system consist of:
    Trane XL19i 2TWZ9030/XC95-60BTU(TUH3B060ACVAA)/5 ton coil on top(2TXCC060BC3HCAA)/ 7/8" & 3/8" copper lines about 45' long

The 5 ton coil also sticks out 1-3/4" on each side of the furnace. I am not a trained expert but this does not seem like a very good match to me. Can someone help me out on this issue?
    Last edited by urojohn; 02-28-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Might help the Trane guys if you posted the furnace model number also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I'm not familiar with the pulse noise you're talking about, but the reason the coil cabinet is wider than the furnace is because the only rated match with any size XL19i heat pump is a 5 ton indoor coil and the narrowest one you can get is 21".

So you get into a situation where it is aesthetically unpleasing but unfortunately there is no alternative.

Now, what we would have done is build a short transition between the coil and the furnace that tapers out to make it look a little better. But it is certainly not necessary for anything other than appearances and not always possible due to height restrictions.

Just out of curiosity what is the next digit after the 2TWZ9030?

does this only occur during heat pump operation? i see you are in minneapolis, i'm guessing you haven't run it in cool mode yet. could be a line set vibration in which case your installer needs to check it. its more common in thru the wall linesets.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Reply to vibrations

I will not get a chance to use cool mode for a while. In heat pump mode it only does it in second stage. The installers did come back and double insulate the copper lines but that did not help. I can put my hand on the furnace and ductwork and feel the vibrations like a vibrator sander. It radiates throughout the house.

Thanks everyone for your reply.

You might switch to cool on a warmer day just to see what it does on high cool. We tend to see more problems with noise & vibration being transmitted in by scroll compressors, not the old recip. Could be a bad comp. But check out cool mode. Wouldn't hurt it for a few minutes being a heat pump.

That is an approved match. 16.50 SEER, rest of the numbers are typical unimpressive Trane unfortunately.

It sounds like the tubing near the TXV valve in the coil is vibrating against the coil. They should insulate the tubing near the TXV and strap or support it better, this might help. The over sized coil for the furnace should not be a real concern as far performance. There is no air flow thru about 4" or so on each side of the coil.

Can you post some pictures of how the lineset is installed. Most units have some extra bends outside the unit to lep isolate vibration. Perhaps they ran the lineset straght off the outdoor unit through the wall and to the indoor coil wihtout many, if any bends.

The lineset on my 3 ton 16i has very little vibration, and it's only about 12' in length, but it bends 90 degrees in both vertical and horizontal orientations, so I think that will help reduce any vibrations.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Can you post some pictures of how the lineset is installed. Most units have some extra bends outside the unit to lep isolate vibration. Perhaps they ran the lineset straght off the outdoor unit through the wall and to the indoor coil wihtout many, if any bends.

The lineset on my 3 ton 16i has very little vibration, and it's only about 12' in length, but it bends 90 degrees in both vertical and horizontal orientations, so I think that will help reduce any vibrations.
    Good point. I've heard two 90-degree bends will help with vibration entering the home. May be a contributing factor at least.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Good point. I've heard two 90-degree bends will help with vibration entering the home. May be a contributing factor at least.
    I know on large steam headers it's done to deal with pipe expansion and reduce the effects of any water hammer.

I don't know about this coil due to the byflow valves in use today. But Trane used to use a check valve to bypass TXv's in heat pump mode. These valves had a tendency to vibrate and sound off during high flow.
    Some times gas bubbles caused it and adding refrigerant solved the problem. Most times the valve had to be replaced or a magnet kit installed.

thank your contracter for selling you a outdated system. I hope they gave you a price cut since Trane was almost giving those away recently.
    *** Compared to normal price ***

Quote Originally Posted by TampaAC View Post
    thank your contracter for selling you a outdated system. I hope they gave you a price cut since Trane was almost giving those away recently.
    *** Compared to normal price ***
    I'm not entirely sure I would call that outdated. I understand the 20i's are slowly becoming available (in our area anyway) but we still sell 19i's as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast