Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mushrooms???

Quote Originally Posted by rjb7112 View Post
    I think I am going to try it have any pics?
    I also have to say that finding your first morel is a chore. I know that I walked many many miles looking under every leaf and twig for one and one day I tripped over one. Once i "got my eye in" as the morel hunters say, I can spot a morel from across a field.

Learning to spot them is quick. Once you know how to see them, you see them easily. I don't know any other way to explain it.

yellowirenut is right. Learn about false morels or helvellas and gyromitras ( i think that is what they are. Cutting a cross section is an easy tell tale. I cut all of my morels before eating.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I also have to say that finding your first morel is a chore. I know that I walked many many miles looking under every leaf and twig for one and one day I tripped over one. Once i "got my eye in" as the morel hunters say, I can spot a morel from across a field.

Learning to spot them is quick. Once you know how to see them, you see them easily. I don't know any other way to explain it.

yellowirenut is right. Learn about false morels or helvellas and gyromitras ( i think that is what they are. Cutting a cross section is an easy tell tale. I cut all of my morels before eating.
    I am curious... does a morel taste much different than the usual mushrooms I eat? [that would be on pizza any chain serves]

YES!!!!!

Fried in garlic butter on a steak with a good beer is just about as good a meal as can be made by human hands.

It has been almost a year since I've eaten them, so describing the taste is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    YES!!!!!

Fried in garlic butter on a steak with a good beer is just about as good a meal as can be made by human hands.

It has been almost a year since I've eaten them, so describing the taste is tough.
    Thanks, I'll try that sometime if I get the chance.

Added to my list of must-do's. [truffles is on there too]

BTW: I did not ask for a taste description intentionally. I understand some things just have to be tasted...
    Last edited by Tool-Slinger; 03-04-2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: btw

I was born and raised in the Check Republik - central Europe. Picking wild rooms was the thing to do, every year during the summer and the fall. I remember getting up at five in the morning and going it to the woods, ahead of the crowds, just me and my dad. And than slicing them up and spreading the thin slices on drying sheets. Nothing like the smell of wild mushrooms in your soup! My dad only had one rule. The under side of the head had to be smooth. It it had ribs, he didn't want it. He still lives!

I've been going mushroom picking for food and profit for years. I'm in southwestern BC , and there's several types that you can eat or make money on. The majority of my pickin' has been for pines, chantrelles and morrels. I've also picked lobsters, 'cauliflowers', and shaggy manes. Once you've tried a few types of wild shrooms you'll realise those white blobs from the store are pretty blah.
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

Shrooms with no gills are usually sponge fungi but many with gills are good and choice like the oyster.
    The Morel family is big with both true and false morels. Some eatable on both sides but not all. One book lists 12 species. Helvellaceae family.
    Where a shroom grows usually tells little. I've found Amanita's growing in very different places. Most mistakes come from picking them in the button stage before the warning parts are developed. The ring on the stem.
    The scientific way to identify one is with a spoor print but I've never done it.

Know who Santa Clause was. In research I believe he was a Lapland shaman. Laplanders herd reindeer. The gift under the tree (pine tree) was the magic mushroom (Amanita Muscaria) Halusinagen. Eat them and then you can watch the reindeer fly.
    Ever notice the mushroom on fairy tale books. Red with oatmeal flakes on the top? Same mushroom. Hidden in plain sight.

These postings cause me to remember how interesting collecting was. There are often clubs to join to learn shrooms.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

Missouri is a huge mushroom state. Morels even have their own festivals in many towns. We don't only pick those though. There are several different varieties that are mighty tasty. We always went 'shroom hunting when I was a kid and it was totally exciting when you ran upon a large patch. You definitely marked it for future years.

I've read that immunity to different fungi are cyclical within the human body. Unfortunately I seem to have developed an allergy (or something like it) to morels a few years back. I try every year to eat them and get totally sick, lasting for a couple of days. And I grew up eating them every season (as many as we could find!). It hasn't kept me from attempting every year or two though!

Around here, morels go for anywhere from $10-$20 per pound while in season. Depends upon the spring we have and the availability.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I've read that mixing certain types with alcohol might make some sick.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

Its been in the high 70s the last few days i need to take a walk. has anybody found any yet

Just heard a rumor here that a couple of 'red mushrooms' have been found locally. Shouldn't be long now!
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Fried in a egg batter dip yummmm. I have not had one in years I don't think they grow down here. But they taste a whole lot like fried zucchini.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

http://thegreatmorel.com/

http://www.morel.com/

Cracker,

Try those links. They will put you on to where there are reported morel sightings in the US. I guess that they were already found in Georgia in February.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast