air conditioner and noise

Hi,
    i am trying to change the existing air conditioner units that i have now (builder grade units). The ones that I have are 2 units - 10 seer weather king and luxaire. Contractor said that all he can offer me without having to change the whole duct system, which is very expensive is 13 seer R33 units. I wanted more expensive units, like Carrier infinity, but he said the whole system will need to be changed, which will be like xxxxx dollars. He is giving me a choice b/w Coleman Echelon, Trane, Carrier Comfort, and Lennox Elite. (all 13 seer). My MAIN concern i the noise, that's the prime reason I am buying new air conditioners in the first place. I need them to be as quiet as possible. Could you please recommend which one of those is the quietest one? I looked at the specs and the sound level of Coleman listed to be at 69db, comparing to others that are over 76db. But I still have my doubts. Would anybody please advise, maybe you heard coleman echelon is real life, how quiet is it?? I really need some help on this one, I need to make a decision pretty soon.
    thank you very much

Are you replacing just the condenser units (outdoor), or are you replacing the indoor coils as well as the condensers?

Can't always tell by the sound rating number but 69 is a particularly quiet unit. The Coleman has its compressor inside a heavy compartment in the unit, plus they have a slow speed swept wing fan blade which drastically reduces air noise. So I'd probably guess it will blow away the rest.

Would help to know exact model #s you are choosing.

I've never heard of having to change a duct system for a more efficient A/C. To get much above 14 if at all, you need a variable speed indoor unit. But BTUs is BTUs and a 19 SEER 3 ton requires the same airflow as a 13 SEER 3 ton.

As Gary said, be sure you are matching the indoor coil to whatever you pick outside.

thank you very much for replying. I don't know the model # for coleman unit, it only says Coleman Echelon 3S series 13 seer air on their site.
    as for the duct system, I think I made a mistake when I said the contractor wants to change the duct system. he actually never said the "duct system", he just said "the whole system" and then quoted the price approx. $x to change "the whole thing". I would prefer to put in more expensive units, but he said I can only go with R22 and that pretty much leaves me with those 4 choices.

No prices in post.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-27-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Removed price

Quote Originally Posted by p_henn View Post
    thank you very much for replying. I don't know the model # for coleman unit, it only says Coleman Echelon 3S series 13 seer air on their site.
    as for the duct system, I think I made a mistake when I said the contractor wants to change the duct system. he actually never said the "duct system", he just said "the whole system" and then quoted the price approx. $x to change "the whole thing". I would prefer to put in more expensive units, but he said I can only go with R22 and that pretty much leaves me with those 4 choices.
    why only r22 and not r410a? sounds like that he can't get the other higher efficiency units maybe not an authorized dealer. The carrier performance series is 68db its r410a and at least 14 seer, with variable speed blower and the edge thermidistat makes a very good combination. If I were you i would find an authorized carrier or trane dealer who isn't interested only in what they can get out of you. If you don't go with r410a you will get stuck with r22 equipment that as of 2010 will be obsolete and then the cost of the refrigerant is going to go out the roof. Check around.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-27-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Removed price

Get some other contractors out to give you estimates.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Why can you only go R22?

Where are you located?

It sounds like he just wants to change out the condensers. Pay now and pay later. I'll take the money both times.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by ComfortAdvisor View Post
    Where are you located?
    staten island, ny