Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    I agree with you, but same arguements can be used against having electrical parts (light switches, plugs, light fixtures, junction boxes) available to the general public at big box stores, along with electrical DIY books. The same goes for plumbing supplies or automotive parts.

Let's be honest - the no DIY rule on this board has more to do with protecting the industry than safety. I respect that; however, the HVAC industry has no right to dictate what anyone should or should not do. There's nothing wrong with DIY info on the internet or in books; one can not protect stupid people from themselfs merely by denying access to information.
    a simple switch does not hold a charge like a capacitor. That said, do you know how many times I had to fix DIY 3-way switch replacements when I was an electrician? Neither do I, but it was alot. DIY HVAC I have seen has caused, fires, compressor failure, cracked heat exchangers and building structural damage. If you want to DIY go for it, but I don't think the site rules are going to change because Home Depot sells light switches.

I agree with you, but same arguements can be used against having electrical parts (light switches, plugs, light fixtures, junction boxes) available to the general public at big box stores, along with electrical DIY books. The same goes for plumbing supplies or automotive parts.

Let's be honest - the no DIY rule on this board has more to do with protecting the industry than safety. I respect that; however, the HVAC industry has no right to dictate what anyone should or should not do. There's nothing wrong with DIY info on the internet or in books; one can not protect stupid people from themselfs merely by denying access to information.
    This site doesn't exist other then for the HVAC professionals who are members of it. If you don't like the rules of our playground, go complain somewhere else. You have just crossed the line of having no respect for those of us in the HVAC industry to just being plain rude.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    This site doesn't exist other then for the HVAC professionals who are members of it. If you don't like the rules of our playground, go complain somewhere else. You have just crossed the line of having no respect for those of us in the HVAC industry to just being plain rude.
    He didn't call anybody stupid, so probably won't get banned.

All kidding aside, I think his signature says it all, and hopefully other homeowners that come across this thread will take his posts with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by james80031; 03-11-2009 at 12:36 AM. Reason: clarification

Let's be honest - the no DIY rule on this board has more to do with protecting the industry than safety.
    I have been honest. What I have written are my concerns. I thought I was perfectly clear about that.
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Actually I have no problem with the rules of this forum - there's absolutely nothing wrong protecting an industry. (or preventing some aquiring enough knowledge to be dangerous )

What I have a problem with is bashing and discrediting people who provide information on other sites/mediums. (This thread is a perfect example)
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Actually I have no problem with the rules of this forum -

Then quit arguing against them.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by james80031 View Post
    He didn't call anybody stupid, so probably won't get banned.

All kidding aside, I think his signature says it all, and hopefully other homeowners that come across this thread will take his posts with a grain of salt.
    For the record, I did not call that idiot stupid.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

For the record, I did not call that idiot stupid.
    LOL, yeah I was guessing that the origional words might have been slightly less PG rated.

"This site doesn't exist other then for the HVAC professionals who are members of it. If you don't like the rules of our playground, go complain somewhere else."

If this is true, why not close the site off completely to home owners and DIYS. This way you don't have to deal with it. I just love the holier than though attitude on this site.. Not happy with my thoughts here. Then BAN ME. I could care less.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    Total frigging nut job! Must be from Florida or Kalifornia!
    Not everyone from Florida is a nut job.
    In fact my doctor said that I was all better now

Quote Originally Posted by mjbxx View Post
    "This site doesn't exist other then for the HVAC professionals who are members of it. If you don't like the rules of our playground, go complain somewhere else."

If this is true, why not close the site off completely to home owners and DIYS. This way you don't have to deal with it. I just love the holier than though attitude on this site.. Not happy with my thoughts here. Then BAN ME. I could care less.

Welcome to HVAC-Talk.com!

The purpose of HVAC-Talk.com is to provide a fun meeting and learning place for people with an interest in the HVAC/R Industry. Note that while all are welcome, our primary interest is in serving the HVAC Pro and the related industry.

Caution - HVAC-Talk.com is a moderated site. Moderators will delete and edit posts in an effort to keep the site free of DIY, flame wars, insults, crude language, advertising and off-topic replies. Please be polite, professional and helpful in your replies.

Please read through the following rules and instructions.

1. Who Is Welcome Here?

Anyone in the HVAC industry and home or building owners with HVAC/R concerns and other polite and fun people that are willing to contribute. Please feel free to ask any question relating to HVAC, or other topics of general interest except Do-It-Yourself (DIY). At the same time, be polite and respectful in your answers. We welcome questions so please don't be critical of someone's question, or other member's answers.

a. All members must treat other members with respect. Anyone who posts defamatory, insulting or otherwise disrespectful comments toward others will find their posts deleted and possibly their posting privileges suspended or revoked.

b. Any member that becomes belligerent, argumentative, posts smart-ass comments or requires too much attention of the Moderators will lose their posting privileges.

c. Any post or reply that we feel that may cause harm to others or violates any of the site rules will be edited or deleted.

HVAC Pros, please note; home owners are welcome to ask questions here, if you do not wish to be helpful that is fine but do not intimidate, obstruct or criticize those that wish to be more helpful than you. If you do not like a particular thread or topic, do not reply and please move on.

2. Do-It-Yourself (DIY) - not here.

This site is for industry professionals and folks seeking HVAC/R advice and knowledge. Please do not ask for step by step instructions on purchasing, installing or repairing your own equipment. This is our job and our livelihood. We are generous, but not to a fault.

Questions of this type will not be answered and may be deleted at the discretion of the Moderators.

The full Site Rules.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Maybe RoBoTeq should read the rules then, because his statement completely contradicts the rules beenthere has posted (the Site Rules).

From the rules
    This site is for industry professionals and folks seeking HVAC/R advice and knowledge.
    To me, that means non-pros are welcome on this forum, too.

If RoBoTeq is right, then you guys need to amend your site rules and shut down the non-pro forums.

Quote Originally Posted by skizot View Post
    Maybe RoBoTeq should read the rules then, because his statement completely contradicts the rules beenthere has posted (the Site Rules).

From the rules

To me, that means non-pros are welcome on this forum, too.

If RoBoTeq is right, then you guys need to amend your site rules and shut down the non-pro forums.
    Non-pros are welcome, but like Roboteq said, this site would not exist if it wasn't for HVAC professionals. The open forum areas are here to help assist homeowners with legitimate concerns about their systems. The professionals have been kind enough to offer assistance and advice. Some people come here to start trouble and have an alternate agenda- which are usually easy to spot.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast