Vent-free gas log set installed in BR36 Majestic

Hello.........I am a bit worried and wondered if I could get some suggestions or help. I just installed a Vent free Gas log set into my BR36 Majestic ( UL 127) which is supposed to be able to support this vent free gas log set. The log set is ANS Z223.1 . When I am using this new log set, I have the flue closed and the outside air ventilation grills open,
    Here are the problems,,,,,,,,,,,the whole house has a horrible smell. It even smells outside the house. It smells like burning plastic or even a bit like the oven when it is in the cleaning cycle. There is no smoke. I have a CO detector installed 4 feet away from the unit.
    Also the mantel, granite tile get really hot. Too hot to touch without getting a burn. I do meet the combustablity distances but it is so hot, I just keep thinking this is wrong.
    I would like to hear if you all have had similar issues with the smell on the ventless logs or the heat issues?
    Thanks,
    Wisty

I am taking it out

Sorry............I have now seen all ( tons ) of posts with the same issue that we are having. I am pulling that bad boy out ASAP!!! I guess it is just another few bucks down the drain!!! Just like all my other investments. OY!

Odors can come from many different sources. Check to see if your vent free gas logs are rated for vented usage too. If they are, just open the damper and your odors should go away. If your odors do not go away, then there are other issues to contend with.

it is rated as vented as well but............

Do you think that having a non vented polite light could be an issue with CO's?
    I had no idea that so many people complain about these units, I never would have done it. I have a drafty two story family room in a production home and is never really comfortable, so I thought this would offer a fantastic solution. We have a ceiling fan too, so I thought it would draw the heat upstairs too.
    Bummer!!

Are you shure you have a vent free log set??? What kind of logs are they. How long have you run them? .... See where Im going with this. You should find someone that is NFI certified and come check your installation. The NFI web site will tell you who is in your area.

From Lowes vent free gas logs- style selections

They have been used for about 6 hours. I will have the installation checked over.
    Thanks