How to tell which union has a "contract" with a building

How to tell which union has a "contract" with a building

I'm looking at building for a service contract and I would like to find out which union is currently involved with the employees there without having to go to the employees themselves. Is there any way to gather that data without upsetting the status quo? The question pertains to the Los Angeles area.

I would assume your contact for the building would supply that.

Otherwise, it depends on what trade it is-assuming hvac, the local business agent for the UA probably knows if there is a UA contractor involved. But LA is a big local,with a lot of members/contractors ,so no guarantees.

Safe to assume you aren't a mechanical contractor?
    GO DAWGS!

The "union" doesn't have a contract with the building owners, rather a contractor has the contract. The mechanical contractor may be union or not. The service contract could be broken up into smaller pieces and divided up between more than one contractor.

Depending on the size of the building or the type of maintenance performed, the typical building tenant employee may not know who is involved with keeping the systems working... however, the building engineer will. If the building is managed by a real estate outfit, they will know who is performing the work.

If the systems you want to contract for are owned by the building, you have to go to the building engineer. If the systems are tenant owned, then you have to go to the decision maker for the tenant (and you still may need to discuss things with the building engineer).

If the building/entity you are eyeing receives public (government) funding, you can file a FOIA request and get the information you need. Just keep in mind that if you are not union, the union can (and does) file a FOIA request to determine who has the maintenance contracts and then files a grievance for not paying prevailing wages. There are penalties.

FOIA = Freedom of Information Act

If the maintenance contracts are a bid process, you might get somewhere with a subscription to the Dodge Reports.

Probably easier to knock on doors.

If the building engineer is union and you are not, then you probably won't get any work in that building. It is difficult at best to get into the bigger buildings in Chicago without a dues receipt- and they check. Don't know if LA is the same.

Jode, most union contractors for "HVAC" in the LA area are from the Local 250 pipefitters union, which I am a member of.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhoffa View Post
    Jode, most union contractors for "HVAC" in the LA area are from the Local 250 pipefitters union, which I am a member of.
    So Thats where you've been! The detroit teamsters have been looking a long time......
    GO DAWGS!