Confused Return Duct Filtering at ceiling vents

I have 2 return ducts in my house (1 in kitchen area,1 in rear hallway). These are 2 seperate ducts going to the unit blower area.
    The kitchen return gets extremely dusty and dirty because we have 4 small dogs that live in that area. I decided to install pleated filters at both of the return vents(14x20x1) and remove the 20x20x1 at the blower area.

Is this acceptable, or am I creating a problem with airflow,efficiency ect.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks ..........

As long as you're getting the design face area of 400sqin it should be okay, but that being said, return ducting, joist liners, etc, are notorious for air leakage, so I would say you may loose what you wish to gain by using pleated through the cracks and crevices. This is usually why air filtration is installed just before the equipment: to prevent having to seal the return system.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Thumbs up

gruntly ......

Thank you for the reply, I understand what you are saying. Would you advise
    re-installing the 20x20x1 and using the other 2 as well, or would that place too much restriction on the system? I just hate the amount of dust and debris that colllects at the vent area. What would be your best advice?

Thanks man ......

Too much restriction is bad for your system from several points of view. In both air conditioning and heating it may (read: probably will) give low return air volume. This may cause the coils to freeze up in the air conditioning mode and the heat exchanger on a fossil fuel furnace to eventually fail.

Consider having a contractor come in and assess your circumstance and improve the filtration system and make recommendations.There are so many things on the market today that can help you filter the air better without creating a situation where it may endanger the other equipment.

Air circulation through the equipment is critical and there are minimums that have to be maintained in order to 1. maintain the efficiencies, 2. maintain the continued reliable operation, and 3. maintain the safe operation. There are manufacturers out there that void warranties on account of over filtration, or should I say filtration that starves airflow.

Be wary of adding too much stopping power. The more stopping power you have, the more face area you need... This is the exact point of "pleating" the filter. More face area, less physical size, more stopping power (particulate arresting). But even so there comes a point where you still have too much stopping power for the equipment to maintain air flow. That's when you may need a thicker pleated filter: to increase the face area. By increasing from 1" pleated filter to a 4" pleated filter, you virtually increase the face area x4 and slow down the air velocity through the filter per sqin by a factor of 4. The filter works better, lasts longer and saves the equipment stress.

Two filters in series are not any better than the right one by itself. They may even damage the equipment.

I hope this helps.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Thank you so much for your expertise and knowledge, I really appreciate it!

I'll do what you suggest and call in a pro ......

Thanks again,

Mike

R/A in the kitchen???
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Thumbs up

How bout ya Red Raider! I am a Tech fan as well, YELLOW JACKETS for me.

Man, they better quit hastling Leach over there in Lubbock. Y'alls program is really coming on .....

I don't know why the builder put the vent in the kitchen .....

ra in kitchen is questionable. but maybe change your filters more often and the dust wouldnt start to collect on the outside of the grille?