Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

York 5ton, Need help

Help,

I have a new home, new 5 Ton York dual compressor and vari-speed fan, It has been a mess from day one because I live in an area where they have no idea how these things run. I think I am more up to speed on this thing since I now have the manuals memorized..

My first issue is the fan was always running full blast or it seemed, So with a little help from a tech guy, I think we found that the single stage of the compressor is never running on its own, it jumps to dual everytime.

Is this possible? My bills are crazy, and friends who have these can't hear their unit run, mine sounds like a forced air furnace.. Blasting on for 10min and then off..

Thanks

fiber,
    I am sure you will get some good advice here!
    I do not do residential work but am very curious about your post!
    does york sell a condensing unit with two compressors or are you referring to the twin single?
    which switches the rotation of the compressor for two stages?
    I do know that most two stage and variable speed type of residential stuff is supposed to have the proper two stage thermostat.
    most hacks just put a small timer between y1 and y2 or for heating w1 and w2 so it runs on second stage after two minutes and stays there.
    I think york brings back a wire from the outside unit to the inside unit to tell the indoor fan when to be on high or low speed.
    if it is a variable speed motor I believe there is a dip switch for the cfm setting, in your case 2.000 cfm.
    If you give a little more info you will be able to fine tune that baby from the advice given here. there are a lot of very smart professionals on this site!
    nice to have you on here.
    welcome to hvac-talk.

st65
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

If its a new home, and a new unit.
    Then its using the Copeland 2 stage compressor.
    Good chance, it not wired right.
    Wired wrong, and you will have it running in second stage all the time, and the blower at full speed.

You might want to ask your neighbors who works on theirs.
    And have them correct yours, if your contractor doesn't have techs that know how to work on it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Confused need more info

Do you have a zone system? If so, what kind? Some zone control panels control blower speed, and often are not wired up right. Is you blower constant velocity or variable speed? What type of thermostat do you have? You said you live in an area where they have no idea how these work... where would that be? They work, and people know how here... not much population, and very cold winters, but my heat pump works great. I assume its a heat pump you are having trouble with. Modern HP's outperform electric heat well below zero degrees fahrenheit. I suspect it's your tech, not your area.

Advice has been a little slow coming in, so thank you.
    It is a two stage compressor, I'm a machinist so I'm a fussy nut by default and have this system studied to death, I believe my duct work is bang on based on the info I'm getting from those who have some knowledge. This is where I get lost, A friend of mine has a 3.5 Ton Bryant and the house is 4000 sqf like mine, his system runs all the time, can't be heard and uses about 40% less energy.. Now mine winds up like a turbine engine and runs for 10min and off for 20min.. And I get free heat when the sun shines. The pump will not run at all no matter how cold it is. We are on the east coast of Canada and our weather is much like Maine.. My average KWH was 140 per day last month.. And my Aux rarely comes on, the colder it gets the better my system breathes, the better heat it makes..

My Y2 Goes out to the unit and back, I have a Honeywell Vision PRO 8000, Now the guy who is helping me says I need to get back to a basic stat, because this one is doing to much thinking on it's own and not responding to the house...I hate this stat myself...

I will know tomorrow if my Y1 and Y2 are coming on all the time, I have a guy coming to have another look and if he can't give me some answers, I will get an OHM meter and log every min of this thing..

O did I mention the $775.00 Power bill.....

Thanks again..

Vari-speed,
    Single stat, no zones..

A regular stat????

That system needs a multistage stat, such as the 8320,8321 etc.

Next, after it gets below 35F, 1.6C. it will automatically use second stage weather the stat is calling for it or not.

Although you don't see the stat indicating a call for aux. If miswired. The outdoor unit can bring on the aux heat, without the stat giving you an indication.

Since you have free solar heat. If its by windows. Do you pull the shades/curtains, when teh sun goes down?
    Contractor locator map

You need a 3 heat 2 cool stat. If you are using electric heat as a backup. I Assume no gas furnace? (hard to believe if its weather like maine!) if you do have a gas furnace then you would have dual fuel and need an outdoor thermostat to allow the furnace to come on when cold enough. yes you can have a variable blower furnace. So I guess we need to know exactly what you do have. I use to live in maine.... and boy... it does get cold!
    (I was always told heat pumps didnt get sold north of say Richmond VA. But why couldnt you do Dual Fuel and use a heat pump for the moderate part of winter? We even have dual fuel apps down here in the Carolinas..... cause the Yankees that move here want HOT HEAT NOW!)
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Bubble.

The defrost board of an Affinity, is a dual fuel control, and has its own outdoor stat already.

You were told wrong about heat pumps.
    Contractor locator map

My tech thinks I should have a WR 1F95-371, Is this a stat that uses more basic methods of control? I did not know about the second stage coming on at that temp. My heat rise seems ok, at 10-12 degrees C, When my elements come on I can really feel the heat, I find the fan is ramps up to full or sounds like full in just a few seconds..

Mine sounds like a oil fueled furnace running. Maybe thats just what 2000cfm sounds like?

J

Its no better then the Honeywell you already have. Only real operation difference, is it can be set for a wider temp differential.

And, the thermostat, is not wired to control the aux heat directly with an Affinity heat pump. If they wired it properly.
    It should only be wired directly for emergency heat. Not aux.

Do you know what temp they have the balance point set to.
    You can set the balance point on the defrost control to lock out the aux heat, until its really needed.

If(big IF) your duct work is sized proper for 4 tons.
    Then if/when the blower goes to full speed. It won't be real loud.
    If its some what under sized for 4 tons, then it will be loud when it goes to 2000CFM.

Good chance, your duct is not sized right. But, may be acceptable for 4 tons.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbleheadski View Post
    You need a 3 heat 2 cool stat. If you are using electric heat as a backup. I Assume no gas furnace? (hard to believe if its weather like maine!) if you do have a gas furnace then you would have dual fuel and need an outdoor thermostat to allow the furnace to come on when cold enough. yes you can have a variable blower furnace. So I guess we need to know exactly what you do have. I use to live in maine.... and boy... it does get cold!
    (I was always told heat pumps didnt get sold north of say Richmond VA. But why couldnt you do Dual Fuel and use a heat pump for the moderate part of winter? We even have dual fuel apps down here in the Carolinas..... cause the Yankees that move here want HOT HEAT NOW!)
    I live 2 hours north of Richmond and all I sell is HP.

I went to the Poconos' and all the condo's had Trane HP's, with 47" of snow, the maintence guys were going around and digging all the units out of the snow.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Cool! Glad to know I can go anywhere to work on HP's if I wanted to!
    Beenthere.... Thanks for the input.... also... if the affinity is anything like a carrier ( I think I have seen one affinity) the variable speed should be set to enhanced mode.. much like setting the dip swithes on a Trane to enhanced.. If its not set to enhanced then you would get no ramp and would go right to Full speed (based on the setup for the size heatpump).
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast