Thread: Desa fireplace

Desa fireplace

I put in a Desa VC42 fireplace several years ago until I get the dough to put in a real one. The glass doors I got with it were just plain cheap as hell, so I took them back. It was 4 panels and there was a big gap between each panel of glass. I'm looking to put some glass doors on it that will seal a little better so that when I get up in the morning, I've still got enough heat left to throw some more wood on. With it just open right now, all I'm left with is ashes. Does Desa make decent doors for this thing, or can I put a generic door assembly on it that says "Not for manufactured fireplaces". I'm sure this is for liability reasons. Is there any reason why they would be a problem?

Unhappy bad choice

Might burn your house down, cause smoke spillage or premature failure of components and void the warranty and listing, which then makes it a code violation.

How's that for starters?

Sorry, must use only mfr.s listed components. Fireplaces are not for heat so forget that. They are decorative. Burn with doors fully open or fully closed.

If you want heat, replace it with a gas direct vent. Your dealer should have explained all this before you bought that fireplace.
    Sorry,
    Hearthman

Thanks for the reply Hearthman, but please note - I'm not DIY.This is my house. The county I live in has no code. Code and warranty can kiss my ass. Can you give me a good reason why Desa's glass doors are different than generic assemblies? I was actually looking for you to reply to my question, because I've read alot of your posts and you seem to know your $hit. No disrespect here, but if you're going to talk to me like I'm a school kid, then don't reply. I asked a question from one pro to another. I don't need a lesson in code. If you prefer, you can respond by PM. Thanks

Exclamation problem with non-oem doors

Sorry Bama, no offense intended.

The fireplace was tested and listed with the mfr.s doors. Aftermarket doors use a peripheral frame that reduces cooling air flow into the side cooling vents as well as total airflow through the firebox. This raises the overall heat signature of the fireplace. Framing that ok at stated clearances may now easily overheat, pyrolyze and ignite at lower temps. That's the practical concern.

HTH,

Thanks Hearthman,
    I'm probably going to do it anyway, but I appreciate the input. I do have an outside vent hooked up, because I planned on putting doors on it. I still don't see the difference between doors that hinge in the fireplace, or doors that hinge on the frame they came with.

Unfortunately, you don't know what you are doing, and you aren't interested in listening to good advice. You are gonna do what you are gonna do, which might be hard on innocent guests or family members.

Hearthman's advice to get a fireplace designed for heating such as a good many direct vent fireplaces is good advice. Hacking up the fireplace you have isn't going to do a comparable job in terms of efficiency.

Where did you get that fireplace? If you'd spent time shopping for an appropriate piece of equipment you wouldn't be quack doctoring it after the fact.

Its an open fireplace... no matter what you do to it you will never get a good amount of heat out of it that will heat your house. You are just sucking tons of air pre-heated by your furnace (or whatever) out the chimney along with most of the heat from the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
    Unfortunately, you don't know what you are doing, and you aren't interested in listening to good advice.
    Fotunately for me, I do know what I'm doing. I see that you're a gas man. I've been behind plenty of ya'll. All you know how to do is tag a furnace because you don't know how to diagnose one, and you want to tell me I don't know what I'm doing. If you've got the credentials, why don't you apply for pro, until then, please keep your unfounded opinions to yourself.
    I will listen to Hearthman, but I won't listen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
    Hacking up the fireplace you have isn't going to do a comparable job in terms of efficiency.

Where did you get that fireplace? If you'd spent time shopping for an appropriate piece of equipment you wouldn't be quack doctoring it after the fact.
    The more I think about your smart a$$ reply, the madder I get.
    I don't HACK anything gas man. I've been known to fabricate some things, but I never HACK anything. I don't have the luxury that you have. I can't just show up at a customer's house and throw a tag on a furnace because I don't know how to fix it. I'm the one that shows up TO FIX IT after you've been there!

Let me throw this question out there....I have always told my customers to burn with the doors wide open only. This will promote cooling by drawing in fresh air. I also tell them that they can shut the door once the fire to where ther is no flame present and they want to retire for the night. Would anybody disagree???

Bama, you come to a forum that is outside your line of work, ask a question, then get nasty when you don't get the answer you want to hear. Hopefully this is not the way you deal with all things that do not go your way in life. Good luck with that.

Just to let you know, there are members that subscribe to this forum that are professional investigators and professional witnesses for the hearth industry. You have publicly announced that you were going to purposely alter a fireplace after knowingly being advised by a hearth professional to not do that. Hopefully you will not have any issues with your fireplace, I wish you the best.

This thread sounds like a drunk coming into a karate studio in Japan looking for a fight. It can't have a good ending.

Quote Originally Posted by logdoc_rob View Post
    Bama, you come to a forum that is outside your line of work, ask a question, then get nasty when you don't get the answer you want to hear.
    I'm the one that got nasty????? Maybe you should read again. I simply responded AFTER I was attacked. I would never respond to one of ya'll the way I've been responded to here, had you come to the pro forum to get advise. This thread has gone from a simple question, to being taken over by a couple of big macho men wanting to flex their muscles because I walked in their circle. Well, ya'll can keep your pissing contest, I'm going back home - To the pro side, where there's some decent people.

Quote Originally Posted by JBCat View Post
    Let me throw this question out there....I have always told my customers to burn with the doors wide open only. This will promote cooling by drawing in fresh air. I also tell them that they can shut the door once the fire to where ther is no flame present and they want to retire for the night. Would anybody disagree???
    Agreed. Burning with the doors open is good for the glass doors, especially if they are made of tempered safety glass. Doors open = no net heat into the house (house may even get colder), the fireplace would be just for ambiance.

My opinion.