Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is the Lennox G71 Worth the Extra $ & Propane Installation Question

I am in the process of replacing a Lennox G20 propane model (100,000 btu) furnace in our 16-year old, 2,500 square foot, two-story house with a new Lennox G71 or G61V (90,000 btu). The difference in price between the two models is fairly small (the G71 is about 8% more).

Q1. Is the upgrade to the G71 worth the extra money?

Q2. Given that the G71 is a relatively new model does anyone know of any glitches in this model that would favour purchasing the G61V instead?

Q3. Has there been any issue with the propane conversation kit for the G71 or G61V unit (e.g., lack of pressure that leads to ignition or other problems)? Currently I have a inch leading from the propane tank to the regulator mounted outside the house.

Your help and comments would be appreciated.

Wade

Get a heatloss calc done, so you get the correct size.

Make any improments you can to teh homes envelope before getting the new furnace.
    That will help decrease the size furnace you need, and save you more money, then just getting an oversized high efficiency furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Get the 71 nice slow heat worth the $. I own one, first winter with. it runs great.

Quote Originally Posted by Therm76 View Post
    Get the 71 nice slow heat worth the $. I own one, first winter with. it runs great.
    I hate the way the 61 is set up... finky dip switches.

The 71 is cake.

i haven't had a problem with any g71's i've installed. just remember your gonna see longer run times if the unit is setup to fully modulate vs g61 in a two stage setup. the propane kit is just a set of new orfices and an entirely new gas valve for propane. the g71 in my opinion is a very quiet furnace, just make sure your contractor uses the right thermostat for the g71 or he could stage it at the board which is not the most efficient way to set the 71 up.

Quote Originally Posted by badboyheel View Post
    just make sure your contractor uses the right thermostat for the g71 or he could stage it at the board which is not the most efficient way to set the 71 up.
    All four suppliers provided in thier quote that they would install a 2-stage thermostat (Honeywell FocusPro 6000).

Wade

G71 furnace gives you lifetime HX warranty compared to 20 yrs on G61.

G71 with a 2 stage stat is a nice set up.

propane conversion on G71 replaces entire gas valve.

The 71 is the way to go. Customers are amazed by how quiet this furnace is.

I like mine, much quieter than what I was used to.

The 71 is amazing! very quiet and dosent have all the funky dipswitches like the 61. go for it!

Wade,

We've had nothing but good experiences so far with the G71.

Where are you located?

I'm tryin to make the same decision.... except for the propane part.

The folks I'm dealing with seem to prefer the G61V - and they "slightly" preferred Lennox to its comparable Amana. They are nervous about the electronics of the G71 though. He said it was only a year old and it made them nervous a bit - but that it was great. And he said that inside the two machines, the guts are the same and that they are exactly the same "quietness".

No idea if this is true about the quietness. But would like too.

He also said that at a meeting today he was told that Lennox is matching Amana's 10 parts and labor on the thing.

Love to know if that's true. This is my first post.... ever.
    Last edited by ferguson72; 03-06-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: my grammar was terrible

I have decided to go with the G71. I talked to three owners in my area who had them installed last fall and they highly recommend them.

With the 10-year warranty on parts included with the furnace and for only a couple of bucks extra I can get the 10-year warranty on labour. I think if there are any troubles with the electronics that I will be covered.

FYI, the installer that I have been working with said that Lennox was going to increase the parts warranty for the G61 from 5-years to 10-years. And, that the Lennonx spring rebates will be coming out around March 23-24th. This is in Canada... not sure about the US.

Wade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast