Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    To complete the whole system with the tax incentives cost more then triple the heat pump costs. So instead of the heat pump, I should just upgrade the furnace to the most efficient I can afford?

I hear a lot about the efficiency of the heat pump. The weather is moderate here and I would get use of it in the winter and summer. But if it is not going to work then I won't do it.

I am getting at least three people to come out and do estimates from different manufactures.

As you know, it can be confusing for someone who is not into heating/AC business.

Buying a HVAC system is not unlike buying a car. Most folks no little about HVAC, and most folks know little about cars, yet it's a very large expense and most don't make informed choices. At least you can test drive a car. Although most folks base their decision on looks, features, and brand preference not overall performance, quality, reliability or resale value. Some only shop 1 or 2 brands without even considering any other.

The way the tax credits are structured, unless the indoor coil and A/C needs replacing, you're just as well to buy a new furnace get the $1500 or 30%, then later replace the A/C with a heat pump.

Electric rates are normally low in TN and the winters are fairly mild, so a heat pump is a good solution.

I agree, it can be quite a cash outlay to replace everything together. But a new furnace now can still be matched with a indoor coil and heat pump in a few years.

Maybe try to save up a little this year combined with your tax retrun next spring and get the heat pump and indoor coil repalced then.

Pick a heat pump and coil now, and a good installer can adjust the supply plenum to more easily install the new coils next year or in the near future. They might even honor the same price if their costs have not gone up significantly.

Thank you, that is very helpful. Chris

Single stage vs. 2 stage

So I am convinced to buy a furnace. Should I go with the 80% 2 stage variable speed or the 92.1% single stage, single speed? I thought 2 stage is better. Cost is more for 92.1%, but in my price range. This will heat the larger downstairs of my 2100 square foot home.

Are your gas rates high.
    Do you expect them to go down.

2 stage is for comfort, not for saving money.

Are you looking of savings, or increased comfort.

92% single stage=savings, 80% 2 stage =comfort.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

That's great, thought two stage was about saving money. Want to get a good system that will save me money over the long haul. They have quoted me for a Trane 40,000 BTU 92.1% single stage single speed TUC1B040A9241A and a 60,000 BTU 96.7% 2 stage variable speed TUH2B060A9V3VA. Are these good options? Thanks

Why the higher BTU for the 2 stage unit? Is that the lowest BTU it comes in? If I understand the new energy bill correctly, the 96% furnace will gain you a tax credit of 30% of the cost while the 92% furnace won't. That's got to be a nod for the higher efficiency unit (?)

Keith

If a 40,000BTU 92.1% will heat your house.
    I wouldn't get a 60,000BTU 96.7%, that in first stage will output more then the 40,000 would.
    You'll never go to second stage except in recovery if you set back your temp at night, or when you go away.

Waste of money.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12