Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Heat pump inexpensive best

I live in Kentucky. I want to save money on my heating and AC (use AC only some in summer, prefer open windows). My two furnaces and AC units are 18 years old. Furnaces are 8 seer Heil Quaker. Would like to add a good quality inexpensive heat pump to down stairs area to supplement furnace. My house is 2100 square feet, 1200 of it downstairs. Downstairs heat runs more then upstairs. Current furnaces work fine, no problems. What do you suggest?

Stop thinking about up front cost.

Get 2 or 3 quotes.

Ask hem if they do load clacs, or just size by rule of thumb.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Heat pump quality

It is not just the cost. From what I have seen, the base level trane heat pumps do not have good reputations. If I get a 13 or 14 Seer heat pump, who makes better ones?

All have advantages & disadvantages. All can be reliable or unreliable. Best thing to do is find the best contractor who will size it right and do a quality install. That's hard to find.

Builder Trane heat pumps are as reliable as any. They tend to be shy on heating capacity and low on HSPF compared to some. Personally I prefer a scroll compressor in a heat pump for reliability though that's pretty common these days. Look at all the numbers: SEER, EER, HSPF, heating output.

Trane SEER 13

So if the contractor is good, than the Trane XB 2TWB3018 Seer 13, should be good for me? Thanks for response. Chris

With matching coil installed properly, yes, but it's a basic unit with R-22 refrigerant and a reciprocating compressor. The reciprocating compressor is common with anything Trane in that size. R-410A refrigerant is a smart move at this point in time since R-22 is beginning to 'phase out,' but an R-22 system should service just as well.

Similar options: Trane XR13 4TWR3018, Carrier Comfort 13 25HCB318, Lennox XP14-018 as well as those from Rheem, York, etc. whose model numbers I don't have off the top of my head.

Given the age of your furnaces you might want to wait until one of them gives up the ghost. Doing a "dual fuel" setup at that time will likely be a better integrated solution. Whatever you decide, get R410 - R22 will go through the roof in a couple of years.

Keith

I don't believe that unit gets 13 SEER with Trane A coil and standard blower. All of the ratings have an ECM motor inside, then they get just over 13. Which would mean with standard blower probably closer to 12 SEER.

Thank you for the great suggestions. I will request the R-410A refrigerant, which makes sense. Since I live in Kentucky, moderate winters and summers, I think a heat pump makes sense. It may take a long time for my Heil Quaker furnace to die and it is 19 years old. If it makes any difference the coil is a Trane 2TXCA018 R and the heat pump is the Trane 1.5 ton XB 2TWB3018A, that they quoted me. I am learning a little more each time. THANKS.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I don't believe that unit gets 13 SEER with Trane A coil and standard blower. All of the ratings have an ECM motor inside, then they get just over 13. Which would mean with standard blower probably closer to 12 SEER.
    You're right. 2TWB3018A1000A with 2TXCA018AC3 is published by Trane as 12.75 SEER, 11 EER, 7.3 HSPF (Is that even allowed anymore? Maybe that's why it's not on the AHRI database). 16,300 btu's cooling, 15,100 btu's heating. Much better performing units out there.

i would think it would be cheaper toupgrade your downstairs system now instead of adding a new one which will cost a lot do to adding all the electric service ,ducts,space etc..It would be cheaper upgrading your downstairs system to a 14/16 SEER variable speed two stage gas furnace ,maybe need a slightly larger one,with a straight ac outside on the same gas and electric service IMO..then you can take the Tax Credit/rebate for this now as well.

i would get afew estimates and while the contractor is there ask for opinions on upgrading current system or adding a second..

IMO if you were dead set on keeping the old system and adding on it would be more cost effective to go with a Mini-Split Ductless setup for the areas of concern..

OH im sorrry i just reread your post and realize you were just talking about changing the Outdoor unit from straight AC to a heatpump but im sure you realize you will definitly need a new 13 seer plus coil ,dual fual kit,new tstat,possible new low voltage wiring and possibly a new lineset if upgrading to 410a ..

IMO still might be better to go and upgrade the entire thing at once and grab the $1500 tax rebate and not have to go back later to replace furnace.The 15/16 seer new system will also ower your utility bills ,ROI would be alot sooner then it used to be.

I agree, you're going ot be saving a small amount of money retaining the existing furnace. The trade-off is a system that's not matched so the effeciency rating is unknown. You'll essentially pay twice, when the furnace is replaced later.

Repalce the whole system, do it right, do it once and be done.

Make sure to have a heat load calculation done and the ductwork evaluated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast