Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Goodman ROCKS

Goodman
    GOOD MAN NEED TO FIX IT
    If you help others then you are a Success

sure seems like they have had there share of problems. We install quite a few around here and have had no major problems. You would think if a manufacturer is having problems that they would do something differant. I guess we have to wait 5 years to find out if the units put in in the last couple years pan out
    Victor

Everybody has an opinion, but the fact is, I find more problems with Tranes than I do Goodmans and there are more Goodmans in my area than there are Tranes. I use what I put in my head....I'm not Tranewashed, and will never have that kind of commitment toward one brand.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    We find more issues with Goodman,and there's more Tranes installed then Goodmans,go figure!

Smile Goodman/Badman

I'm just an average homeowner trying to figure out if paying for the Trane or Lennox name is really worth it over a Goodman. The argument seems to be that everyone has problems with Goodman products vs. other brands. I've seen in a couple of places that having a Professional/Reputable/Skilled contractor do the instillation can make as much as 75% of the difference with reliability, and only about 25% goes back to the product. Since Goodman products are available to Joe-Blow the fake heating & cooling contractor and me as a home owner, wouldn't this perpetuate the idea that they are bad products? Improper installs would lead to service calls that you professionals would have to make for the unit failing.

If Trane/Lennox/Carrier/etc are all installed by licensed, professional contractors, wouldn't it seem that they fail at about the same rate as the Goodman units? If the argument that Goodman's tend to be installed by people who lack the proper knowledge is correct, then I believe that an argument could be made that they fail at virtually the same rate as other "Premier" brands.

Any ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated...our old Magic Chef went out yesterday...and it's coming down to crunch time. BTW, reading these posts has been very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by opsguy View Post
    I'm just an average homeowner trying to figure out if paying for the Trane or Lennox name is really worth it over a Goodman. The argument seems to be that everyone has problems with Goodman products vs. other brands. I've seen in a couple of places that having a Professional/Reputable/Skilled contractor do the instillation can make as much as 75% of the difference with reliability, and only about 25% goes back to the product. Since Goodman products are available to Joe-Blow the fake heating & cooling contractor and me as a home owner, wouldn't this perpetuate the idea that they are bad products? Improper installs would lead to service calls that you professionals would have to make for the unit failing.

If Trane/Lennox/Carrier/etc are all installed by licensed, professional contractors, wouldn't it seem that they fail at about the same rate as the Goodman units? If the argument that Goodman's tend to be installed by people who lack the proper knowledge is correct, then I believe that an argument could be made that they fail at virtually the same rate as other "Premier" brands.

Any ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated...our old Magic Chef went out yesterday...and it's coming down to crunch time. BTW, reading these posts has been very helpful!
    You're exactly right. The following is what I said back on the first page. Maybe you missed it :

Despite the Goodman bashers here, you're exactly right, that's what makes the difference. The reason Goodman got a bad reputation is because they allow them to be sold to anybody with the money, not just licensed contractors, so you have everybody with a screwdriver installing them. Goodman brought their bad reputation on themselves.

At a price that is close to Goodman, Tempstar is a far better value. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

Quote Originally Posted by opsguy View Post

IMO Goodman is an inexpressive unit and price accordingly. a "bang for the Buck.

But Yes when it comes to HVAC I believe a lager amount of the problems seen out their are bad installs/service.

Remember not alway true but often someone quotes the same make and model #
    for say 20% less. Let assume they get it for the same price for the manuf.
    and they have the same overhead.

Know the com pay that is 20% less say I cheaper my guy work faster thats way they change out a unit in less the 1 hr.

Well did they press test, pull to 500 microns and to a standing Vacuum test.
    did they let it run for about 20 mins and check to make sure your indoor conditions when at comfort leaves. And then Check Superheat and Sub cool.

Most likely no Did the Guy who was 20% higher. Lets say yes. If yes then he
    1 saved you money

2 Needs to be a better business man to still make money.

3 most likely you'll find better references for him and a better preforms with less problems and longer life. no matter what he put in.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Quote Originally Posted by james80031 View Post
    At a price that is close to Goodman, Tempstar is a far better value. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.
    I agree with this...but have some more input.

Here's the deal. We install a ton of trane, and we also install a lot of tempstar. We've been a tempstar dealer for about 20 years now...or at least before it was actually a "tempstar." We have fewer problems with the trane than the tempstar units, but it's also relative. Someone else stated that it's a "bang for the buck" ...and this is true. If someone likes cheap, that's fine by me, because when they complain if there's a failure, I know that I also offered them a higher quality product, and I will certainly discuss that with them. I don't think that tempstar, or goodman for that matter, would be bad if we installed it...but I also wouldn't expect it to hold up as well.

I'll sell someone whatever they want, but I will also make sure that the EXPECTATIONS are clear right up front. The idea that all products are the same is simply not true....all you have to do is stand some cheapo furnace up next to high quality unit and push around on the frames of the furnace and realize one is built cheaply, and one is not.

However, that said...the key is that if a customer wants it, i'll sell it. But if they try to complain that I should somehow cover all their repairs for them when they happen, I'll bring up the fact that I tried to sell them a better unit.

I would also make the point that only a variable speed Trane is going into my house.

Quote Originally Posted by ASNNY View Post
    I agree with this...but have some more input.

Here's the deal. We install a ton of trane, and we also install a lot of tempstar. We've been a tempstar dealer for about 20 years now...or at least before it was actually a "tempstar." We have fewer problems with the trane than the tempstar units, but it's also relative. Someone else stated that it's a "bang for the buck" ...and this is true. If someone likes cheap, that's fine by me, because when they complain if there's a failure, I know that I also offered them a higher quality product, and I will certainly discuss that with them. I don't think that tempstar, or goodman for that matter, would be bad if we installed it...but I also wouldn't expect it to hold up as well.

I'll sell someone whatever they want, but I will also make sure that the EXPECTATIONS are clear right up front. The idea that all products are the same is simply not true....all you have to do is stand some cheapo furnace up next to high quality unit and push around on the frames of the furnace and realize one is built cheaply, and one is not.

However, that said...the key is that if a customer wants it, i'll sell it. But if they try to complain that I should somehow cover all their repairs for them when they happen, I'll bring up the fact that I tried to sell them a better unit.

I would also make the point that only a variable speed Trane is going into my house.
    All you had to say was you agreed with me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345