control positioni

I have been interviewing for a position that would involve a mix between controls/hvac service. The line they work on is automated logic. My question being new to control world. What is the comparison to the other control systems out there. johnson/honeywell???

If you have to ask then I don't suggest you take the position.

"control positioni" Is that in Italy?
    Second place is the first loser.

Tough crowd, he did say "being new to control world"

Assuming you're saying you have some experience with Johnson and Honeywell controls, what exactly are you familiar with?

The other thing is your new potential employer knows you are new to the controls end of thing right? If they don't you may be in for a real awakening. Some of the controls systems out there have a real steep learning curve.

Sorry I really can't speak for any of the above as I've mainly worked with different lines that what you are even mentioning.

Best of luck to you though.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Actually, this can put you in a great career spot. Many of my "up and comming" control techs crossed over from HVAC tech, and turned out to be very good. If you can learn the controls quickly, this will keep you high on the demand list for calls because you can handle both.

Automated Logic is right up there with Johnson and Honeywell and they have good training available. Only minor drawback with ALC is that Johnson and Honeywell have most of the technical information available free via the internet, and ALC (the factory) has not done this to as great an extent. Some of their dealers websites have made this technical information available. If this is one of the PA ALC dealers I know, they are great to work for, and can provide you with video training on CD's and DVD formats which make learning at your own pace nice.

With all of the "green" stimulus funds going to be hitting very soon, getting into controls right now (so training is finished in a few months) is going to position you on the leading edge of alot of work installing controls, and ALC gets a ton of the new and retrofit work.

Good luck!!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

Quote Originally Posted by hvac17011 View Post
    I have been interviewing for a position that would involve a mix between controls/hvac service. The line they work on is automated logic. My question being new to control world. What is the comparison to the other control systems out there. johnson/honeywell???

In my experience ,between the three auto logic has been the easiest to program;and for service were easier to follow when trying to figure out what the original programming logic was.
    GO DAWGS!

I am very green in controls. the position would be 60/40 svc/controls. It is a controls company that is moving into the mechanical end as well. My question was as far as a career path was alc in the same league as honeywell/johnson.

Being a Service Manager for an ALC dealer with 16 years of ALC experience, I'm probably biased. What little I know and from what I hear regarding Honeywell, it's mostly over the counter and not so powerful in comparison. From what I have seen as I worked on with JCI during interfaces, it's not nearly as user friendly or as powerful as ALC.

All of that aside, a system is only as good as it's sales and support. A good system with poor support is a poor system.

ALC's moto is "The power of simplicity", although it's not all easy, I constantly hear praises as compared to others. Factory training is available thru ALC and their Tech Support is pretty good, we actually have a trainer in our office. Some training is available thru Web seminars as well. Tech information is available to all dealers thru the web but not the general public.

Dracula, I work for the dealer that provides the CDs, Dave is the training guru.
    HotRod

Controls..some days your a hero, some days your a zero. Direct acting since 1992.

Need info on honeywell control training in the southeast ?

3600 Chamberlain Lane Suite 148 Louisville, KY 40241
    I use to work for JCI and a lot of people say that it is not all that user friendly but I love working with Metasys especially with NAE's. The only thing that I think is really hard to program on the JCI side is a DX-9100 all the other controllers use programs that walk you though it all. I have done some work on Honeywell and I find less user friendly but I am Bias. I started off as a HVAC control tech with no experience and it took me about a year to understand the ends and outs. But before I had my interview I had to look up HVAC to see what it even stood for so I would say with the background you have it should not take that long for you to catch on. The best of luck to you!!!

FYI:You can always find free training courses on control systems. Look at my profile and send me a e-mail I will send you some good links to get started