Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 102
  1. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    19,562
    Quote Originally Posted by DiodeCutter_2K View Post
    I 'dress for success'

    I respect the buildings, missions, tenants and customers I serve. I would never ask the facility manager or owner to sign my service report unless I was dressed in a professional manner. They are paying top dollar for my goods and services.

    If I were a building owner I would not want some unshaven girly boy with tatoo's who fell face first into a tackle box of fish hooks working on my ANY system. No way no how. I don not care how smart he thinks he is.

    I know there is a new generation, bla bla bla. What concerns me is not so much a lack of respect for ones self as the lack of respect for the client and the position.

    Our clients and customers pay top dollar for our goods and services. We should show them the proper respect by the way we conduct ourselves in their buildings, both in our appearance and demeanor.

    My .02

    Definitions:

    Old School: a humble, professional approarch where the customer is being served. It's all about the customer.

    New School: a highly personalized, affected approach, and who gives a crap if the customer likes it. After all, this is all about me, me, me. Ignorant bastards. (think: Clockwork Orange)
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  2. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    . . .extreme left wing loonies.
    "An ad hominem argument. . .
    consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by
    attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the source making the argument or claim,
    rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim.

    The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and. . .ad hominem works to change the subject."

    Mr. O' Reilly. . .?

    Is that you. . .?

  3. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    190
    like it or not, you old school guys are getting replaced by me, the selfish, self-centered new school guy

    Im just playing around. But I will say that you are very smart man timebuilder. You make a lot of sense. I have a hard enough time as it is proving myself to a first time customer (24 years old) but I have a very charming personality that comes along with being a ladies man (the old ladies love me). All kidding aside, I dont think I'd get any more visible tattoos because of the fact that I dont like when people pass judgement on others. In this field you want the customers to call back the service manager and say "send that guy again, he was very polite, wiped his feet and did an excellent job".
    "Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential"

    Winston Churchill

  4. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    19,562
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    "An ad hominem argument. . .
    consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by
    attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the source making the argument or claim,
    rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim.

    The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and. . .ad hominem works to change the subject."

    Mr. O' Reilly. . .?

    Is that you. . .?
    An ad hominem can only be launched against a "man." "Left wing loonies" are an unspecified group, and therefore it is not an ad hominem. It is an opinion about the veracity of the claim based on the truthfulness of the claimant group.

    Now, if you believe what you have opined, I will judge you as an unworthy, and unarmed, opponent.

    ...and that's a memo.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  5. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Now, if you believe what you have opined, I will judge you as an unworthy, and unarmed, opponent.

    ...and that's a memo.
    I'm just a messenger. . .in this case from the clinical psychologists and others who believe the sociopath/CEO link ["the source" in the definition] They're the ones who drank the Koolaid. I could never have made this connection on my own, but once I see it, it sounds plausible.

    Memo?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ition&ct=title
    Left wing?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ition&ct=title

    Actually, using this method
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factor_analysis
    the link can be determined to some level of certainty, and it is Koolaid proof. Unless. . . unless. . .Factor Analysis is "the work of Satan."

  6. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    19,562
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    I'm just a messenger. . .in this case from the clinical psychologists and others who believe the sociopath/CEO link ["the source" in the definition] They're the ones who drank the Koolaid. I could never have made this connection on my own, but once I see it, it sounds plausible.

    Memo?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ition&ct=title
    Left wing?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ition&ct=title

    Actually, using this method
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factor_analysis
    the link can be determined to some level of certainty, and it is Koolaid proof. Unless. . . unless. . .Factor Analysis is "the work of Satan."
    The key "factor" in this exchange is the identity and belief systems of those doing the studies, and the intended audience for those studies.

    The APA and the college professors who steer it are an extremely liberal group. Financially, they are anti-capitalists, and their bias colors everything they do. They routinely define deviancy down, and attempt to make links between conditions on the list of diagnosed conditions and the people who are at the basis of our capitalist society. So, you can post dozens of links, and having been in the psych department at NYU and the school of commerce, I can tell you that these folks are their own best friend, support group, and peer review cheerleaders.

    Work of Satan? No. Work of idiots? Probably.

    ..and, "here endeth the lesson."
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  7. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    12,921
    Twilli's pierced tongue is a turn on to all the ladies
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

  8. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    12,921
    Also Twilli is extremely proud of Twilli's "Devil Dog" tatto that is on Twilli's forearm, customers often thank Twilli for his service.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

  9. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    an extremely liberal group.
    Each side accuses the other of bias.
    What is the truth?
    How do we know it when we see it?
    Can a biased person still stumble upon the truth?

  10. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    19,562
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    Each side accuses the other of bias.
    What is the truth?
    How do we know it when we see it?
    Can a biased person still stumble upon the truth?
    A broken clock is still correct twice a day.

    I don't think the the phrase "accuses the other of bias" is always accurate. When University professors make anti-capitalist and anti-American statements, they are not simply worthy of being "accused" of bias. Any rational listener can readily discern that the bias is there.

    I think we have answered the question of whether physical appearance plays a role in being hired for a customer service job, and whether homeowners are amenable to using and trusting those who appear to them to be less than reputable based on their appearance.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  11. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    A broken clock is still correct twice a day.

    I don't think the the phrase "accuses the other of bias" is always accurate. When University professors make anti-capitalist and anti-American statements, they are not simply worthy of being "accused" of bias. Any rational listener can readily discern that the bias is there.

    I think we have answered the question of whether physical appearance plays a role in being hired for a customer service job, and whether homeowners are amenable to using and trusting those who appear to them to be less than reputable based on their appearance.
    couple of things.

    A.) this post is out of control, i have created a monster

    B.) I agree with Timebuilder about appearing less then reputable but until they get to know you. I have been with the company I am with for 7 years and am the C.S. Supervisor and every client knows me and how I get things done so my tattoos have no bearing about how they feel about me or the job I do.

  12. #77
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,683
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Also Twilli is extremely proud of Twilli's "Devil Dog" tatto that is on Twilli's forearm, customers often thank Twilli for his service.
    I thought you said you had Bugs Bunny tattooed on one bun cheek diving in the hole? Not that anybody needs to see this...but it could be a real ice breaker at parties.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

  13. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,683
    It is strange how tattoo places really are kind of scummy. When I wanted to get more work done I must have visited a dozen places, several I walked in and walked right back out again.

    Finally found a real artist and a nice clean place, cost a lot of money. But hey, if you decide to put something permanent on your body I have no problem paying for it. People will find the cheapest tattoo guy but thinking nothing of dropping hundreds on a pair of sneakers that will only last a few years.

    I have a special designed family crest of my wife and 3 kids, when it was all said and done I had about 600 bucks tied up in it. Was it worth it? For me it is.

    I still say, one or two visible tattoo's probably not a big deal...a full arm sleeve might be a big deal. Be clean cut, be knowledge and smile...you will do fine.

    Its funny how many technicians you almost have to have a talk with them about showering and shaving, their language, their breath...things you would think would be common sense.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event