is there any difference?

We still have a majestic wood fireplace, it says on its name plate, #x421668
    model 18125168, if I buy one like it made today, is it any better?-as far as heat output and efficiency.

I assume its an open fireplace? An open fireplace will never be very efficient. You need an EPA approved built in fireplace or stove to get some heating capacity.

A fireplace will never be as efficient as a freestanding wood stove. all the heat goes up the chimney. You can have one installed that uses your existing chimney and stands in the room away from the wall. I heat my entire house with just a stove. Some folks get hi-tech and set their furnace up to circulate the warm air through the whole house. I use my stove to heat my house, my hot water, and cook with sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine296 View Post
    A fireplace will never be as efficient as a freestanding wood stove. all the heat goes up the chimney. You can have one installed that uses your existing chimney and stands in the room away from the wall. I heat my entire house with just a stove. Some folks get hi-tech and set their furnace up to circulate the warm air through the whole house. I use my stove to heat my house, my hot water, and cook with sometimes.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Interesting , I have heard of some homeowners doing this , but never actually seen this set up with my own eyes .

Would it be possible to post some pics ?

It never hurts to learn a little and this seems very interesting to me , especially how you heat the water .

Well, I'll try to get you some pics.

They call it "hydrothermal circulation". If it's done correctily, like mine you can operate this system with no circulation pump. You build a heat exchanger into your stove, some install a coil on the stovepipe- I don't reccomend this for a high efficency stove because you cool the flue gasses too far and soot up your chimney. Then I come and see you to put out the fire. I built a heat exchanger onto the rear of my stove out of 3/4" galv. gas pipe. The "cold" water comes in on the low side and the hot water exits on the high end, naturally circulated back into the loop. Make sure that you build in a pressure release valve on the hot side, just in case.

This is really picking up popularity with the "green" folks, maybe a new market?