Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Boiler expansion tank location

Just came across one of the Lennox boiler, expansion tank "T"ed with boiler pressure relief nipple. Is it a right way to do with that? I know normally the expansion tank should locate at return side of circulation pump.
    Your thoughts, please.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    It's perfectly fine. We have many done that way here.

An overhead tank doesnt work the same way as a diaphragm tank. though the function is the same.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Jtrammel - "Im going to sell hvac systems derp derp derp"
    BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

Post Likes
    Thanks a lot.

Post Likes
    That looks totally correct to me. Be sure to drain the water out every few years. I like those overheat tanks for their simplicity.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    I don't see a problem with that.

I have seen a house flipper do one like this, but didn't install the PRV. I told him he's got a time bomb on his hands. I turned it off and told him to call back his side-job-Joe guy to fix it. I wasn't touching and becoming responsible for that hack install.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Visit us at Dr. Degrees HVAC
    or like us on Facebook

Post Likes
    If you are using that style tank (compression tank), then you do not want to have float type air vents on the system or it will take all of the air out of your tank causing relief valves to blow. If you are having any air issues, I would install an air scoop (preferably a spirovent or similar) ad close as possible before the pump, tie in your water feed and tank on the bottom of the scoop. If you Google "pumping away" there is a lot of good info available. You can also read to book entitled the same

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'

Post Likes
    What about a shut off valve before the tank for when you go to drain it? I guess I just perfer the shut off valve, but I'm not sure if it needs to be there.

EDIT: I scrolled down and I see the shut off valve lol, the other day I was doing a boiler tune-up and I was talking with the home owner, his did not have the shut off valve.

Post Likes
    shutoff valves are frowned upon as they can be turned off by the customer, negating the expansion safety given by the tank. There are combo shutoff/drain valves that can be installed that can only be in one position at any time. The tank as pictured above would fail inspection here, though it is still common to see them this way.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

Post Likes
    Nice water line strapped to the side of the tank!

Post Likes
    look closely its a gas line it would be red tagged and we would be told to re pipe it away from the exp tank.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    look closely its a gas line it would be red tagged and we would be told to re pipe it away from the exp tank.
    It's a washing machine connector/hose hanging there.
    Thanks all you guys, continue learning...

Post Likes
    It's not connected to anything, either end. it's an illusion.

Post Likes
    Thats not the correct isolation valve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast