Post Likes

Flex ducting or solid ducting

Hi,
    my question is,
    Can I use flexible ducts in 4-story commercial building, throughout the drop-ceiling spaces????

Thank you

Post Likes
    maybe, if the commercial code in your area allows it. check with the building department.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Jtrammel - "Im going to sell hvac systems derp derp derp"
    BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

3. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Usually one uses hard duct to get close to the register, then flex for the rest of the run. Makes it easier to remove the register in the T grid.

5. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    if you can afford steel duct, then IMO buy steel duct. at least for your trunks.

is this a plenum space btw? Im not sure, but-just like cabling, i think some flex duct jacketing is plenum space rated and some is not.

Here in my office there are random contractors running cable and conduit through the drop ceilings all the time... new leasers are always looking for new can lights, new serurity systems etc.

I have a hard time imagining that these contractors are particularly concerned about disturbing the duct work, nor do the building maintenance people check on the new work. i will say though... for what reason the trunk is RIGHT ontop of the drop ceiling for some reason, so maby this is less of an issue with the duct more out of the way.

If this place had flex duct im pretty sure there would be constant damage from all of the molestation, but thats just my opinion.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    maybe, if the commercial code in your area allows it. check with the building department.
    Also if Plan & Spec job, Engineer will have to approve the flex trunk lines. Get that in writing.

8. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    It usually ranges from about 5'-7' varies from state to state for commercial..But it would not be uncommon to find some 10' + length runs if you open a few tiles up and pop your head in the ceiling..Very common in remodeled hospitals..Even know I hate using the terms "sometimes you have to do what you have to do" but it's inevitable eventually...I do take alot of pride in my work it is a art to me reason why I started this field..I went through a sheet metal apprenticeship before I went through school to become a HVAC tech...So I tend to get picky about my ductwork...

10. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    In commercial we are limited to 6 of flex per branch line. We run hard pipe in 5 lengths until we get close to the diffuser then flex from there.

12. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post