Post Likes

Heat Pump Compressor Fan Not Turning in Ice/Snow

Good day all. I'm located in Savannah, GA where we just experienced a heavy ice and snow event (heavy for us anyway), and I have a question.

Forgive me, I'm not the most knowledgeable in this field

During the ice storm, the air intake on the top of the unit was almost completely covered with ice and/or snow. At that time, the fan was running. I went out and cleared as much as I could, but quite a bit fell into the unit. At that point, the fan stopped turning and the unit started buzzing continuously. At first, I thought it was the defrost cycle, but after some basic internet searching, I learned that cycle should not take more than a few minutes. After about one hour, I switched my thermostat to Emer Heat to take the pump out of the loop.

My question, have I done anything wrong and do I need to keep the pump off until I can get a professional out here. Of course, this is an internet thread and I understand any advice you give is non-binding. I simply would appreciate any input you may have. Also, we're scheduled to get down into the upper teens tonight. Will only emer heat keep the house at a sufficiently warm temperature?

We are used to AC problems down here, not H!

Thanks,
    Joe

Post Likes
    You could try it again, but if it still does not spin and/or you hear the buzzing, shut it off and call for service.

Might not be a bad idea for service anyways.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

3. Likes Joe The Panda liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks, can't hurt. I'm suspecting the cap is low and it can't get the blades going with all the ice. I'm going to try it again tomorrow after it all melts but I think Emer can get us through the night.

Post Likes
    Bad weather for heat pumps.
    Run on Emer Heat until the ice melts

6. Likes Joe The Panda liked this post
    Post Likes
    Well, leaving it like that for an hour wasn't the best thing for the fan motor. make sure all the ice is gone/melted, and turn it back on. It may be okay, as it has a built in thermal protector.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

8. Likes Joe The Panda liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks Beenthere. I'll leave it off until the unit is clear of ice and snow and if it does not start right up, leave it off until a pro can look at it. It's probably due for maintenance anyway. Follow up. I know emer heat is much less efficient than the pump, but would it be a problem to leave it on until, say, Monday if that is the earliest they can get here without an emergency call fee?

Too many people don't want to pay the pros. People pay me for what I know and I'm happy to pay others for what they know. That way if something goes wrong, I can call them!

Post Likes
    Won't hurt the system.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone! If you ever need advice on airplane avionics repairs, hit me up!

12. Likes beenthere liked this post