Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 24 of 24
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    1,892
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    What?! If you have cracks you have a failure. Multiple cracks can be cumulative. Plus, if it's cracked you'll also likely have other faults you cant see (like opened seams).
    Haha! I noticed that too but I thought that has to be a joke!

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    VALLEY CENTER KS.
    Posts
    136
    Post Likes
    Not just cracks can come apart at the inner crimps. look for the "rings" in the blower housing.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    16,001
    Post Likes
    This is sounding more and more DIY!

  4. Likes icy78, HVAC_Marc liked this post
  5. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    590
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    What?! If you have cracks you have a failure. Multiple cracks can be cumulative. Plus, if it's cracked you'll also likely have other faults you cant see (like opened seams).

  6. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Following up in case someone else in the future runs into this same problem.

    It was indeed a bad board, as predicted by a helpful few of you. Failed at 7 years and replaced under warranty. Thank you sincerely for the folks that provided constructive input!

    Regarding the other comments, I correctly identified myself as a facilities manager when I signed up to the forum. I didn't realize that failed to meet some unwritten standard and invited contempt in some way. As the certified tech explained and I am sure that most of you know, the heat exchangers are not built to a water-tight standard. Upon inspection, mine had no signs of failure at 7 years. I don't know how to make animations cheering myself for an appropriately measured response to the other comments posted, or I would.

  7. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    1,892
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the update.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  8. Likes rider77 liked this post
  9. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bridgeton, MO, 'burb of St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    5,074
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JJBConsulting View Post
    Following up in case someone else in the future runs into this same problem.

    It was indeed a bad board, as predicted by a helpful few of you. Failed at 7 years and replaced under warranty. Thank you sincerely for the folks that provided constructive input!

    Regarding the other comments, I correctly identified myself as a facilities manager when I signed up to the forum. I didn't realize that failed to meet some unwritten standard and invited contempt in some way. As the certified tech explained and I am sure that most of you know, the heat exchangers are not built to a water-tight standard. Upon inspection, mine had no signs of failure at 7 years. I don't know how to make animations cheering myself for an appropriately measured response to the other comments posted, or I would.
    Now that you have had your "new guy flogging", show some creds to the mods for pro status. Pros get fewer lashes from the hoard!

    Thanks for the feedback.

    The genius of the United States Constitution - when it frustrates the government, you know it is working.

    RIP Mr. Gizmo; end of watch 10/27/16

    It was a good situation, until everything went wrong!
    Rub some dirt on it and walk it off...
    We will always know it should have worked!

    “Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

  10. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
  11. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    590
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JJBConsulting View Post
    Following up in case someone else in the future runs into this same problem.

    It was indeed a bad board, as predicted by a helpful few of you. Failed at 7 years and replaced under warranty. Thank you sincerely for the folks that provided constructive input!

    Regarding the other comments, I correctly identified myself as a facilities manager when I signed up to the forum. I didn't realize that failed to meet some unwritten standard and invited contempt in some way. As the certified tech explained and I am sure that most of you know, the heat exchangers are not built to a water-tight standard. Upon inspection, mine had no signs of failure at 7 years. I don't know how to make animations cheering myself for an appropriately measured response to the other comments posted, or I would.
    But what about the cracks?

    As far as that "Water-tight standard",...... Furnaces are not designed to allow any Combustible Products in to the "Conditioned Area"--- PERIOD.

    That is what the Flue Exhaust is for.

    If Your CO is above minimum tolerances, ... You Have a FAILED Heat Exchanger, & since the board is under Warranty, the HX should be also.

    No Crack, Not even ONE, is Acceptable, & Absolutely not something where one can "Hope for th' Best", or put it off till the next Maintenance.

    "If" You allow a unit with a cracked Heat Exchanger to be put back in Service, & people get Sick or Die, .... You Are Responsible, & in Today's Law Suit Happy World, ... You will suffer, if not be charged for Man-slaughter/ Unlawful death.

  12. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    14,907
    Post Likes
    eh, he's a Facilities Manager... he knows everything and we are just his peons
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

    Jtrammel - "I’m going to sell hvac systems derp derp derp"
    BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

  13. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
  14. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    1,892
    Post Likes
    I'm pretty sure that the "cracks" were simply crimps. That's why the tech discussed "not water tight" with him.

    But, OP. I hope the "certified tech" really knows his stuff.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  15. #24
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plattsburgh NY
    Posts
    502
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    eh, he's a Facilities Manager... he knows everything and we are just his peons


    Sent from my Z839 using Tapatalk
    What do you mean you can't compress liquid!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.