Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad...

Post Likes

Sad...

I got a warranty Manitowoc call this morning. I check the customer and itís at some bar in town Iíve never heard of. I get there around 9:30am and as Iím walking in I see this clearly drunk guy struggling to walk in the snow. He sees me and tells me his name, heís my contact and the owner of the bar. Wow. I walk in the bar and thereís 5 other people in there and the place is probably 45 degrees. Thereís 2 space heaters and thatís it for heat.

I find the ice machine. Itís in this tiny back room. I know what the problem is as soon as I walk in. See the blue PEX line on the left near the floor? Thatís the water supply line and itís frozen. So not warranty. But look at this crap hole. Nasty place. And look at the red PEX lines on the right. Those are the drain lines and they drain into a bucket!! That drain stack on the right has a Y fitting that youíd think those drain lines would go into (not that that would be ok) but the Y is plugged with a putty/epoxy mess. Thereís no floor drain, nothing but that bucket and a few more I moved to get to the unit. And do you see that condenser? Yep, water cooled. Thatís a lot of water to take care of everyday!

The sign that was on the wall was hilarious. Theyíre worried about letting the heat out of the bar and into the back room. But thatís exactly what needs to happen!

What was really sad was the people in the bar. 9:30 on a Tuesday morning and they were already wasted. From what I gathered they were on a bender from New Yearís Eve. Maybe thatís just everyday for them. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Biggy liked this post
    Post Likes
    Early Morning is the best time to catch the BarFlies ,,, didn’t you know that.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes
    Is that a water cooled machine?

Post Likes
    I used to work a bunch of bars and several of them had a "required special knock" on the back door of the bar starting at 6 in the morning.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I used to work a bunch of bars and several of them had a "required special knock" on the back door of the bar starting at 6 in the morning.
    Whos There

ICE MAN!

7. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Is that a water cooled machine?
    Yes, water cooled.

Post Likes
    When a Bar cant seem to make profit off 500% markup product, its time to close shop...

10. Likes Mike19 liked this post
    N'awlins Dawlin' USA and Palmares Costa Rica
    Post Likes
    Who puts an under counter ice maker on a chef's base table???

12. Likes BBeerme liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davejohnsonnola View Post
    Who puts an under counter ice maker on a chef's base table???
    I know right. Apparently the dealer installed this machine with some agreement with the customer that this level of $hitti-ness was ok.

It just amazes me, and Iím not even sure I believe it, that they empty that bucket every few minutes. Unless I missed it, there wasnít a floor drain anywhere. And the bartender, drunk albeit, didnít act like the bucket method was an issue.

Post Likes
    There is a whole (under)world out there that most folks have no clue of....

Zis NYC?

N'awlins Dawlin' USA and Palmares Costa Rica
    Post Likes
    Was the water cooled condenser connected?

Post Likes
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    I got a warranty Manitowoc call this morning. I check the customer and itís at some bar in town Iíve never heard of. I get there around 9:30am and as Iím walking in I see this clearly drunk guy struggling to walk in the snow. He sees me and tells me his name, heís my contact and the owner of the bar. Wow. I walk in the bar and thereís 5 other people in there and the place is probably 45 degrees. Thereís 2 space heaters and thatís it for heat.

I find the ice machine. Itís in this tiny back room. I know what the problem is as soon as I walk in. See the blue PEX line on the left near the floor? Thatís the water supply line and itís frozen. So not warranty. But look at this crap hole. Nasty place. And look at the red PEX lines on the right. Those are the drain lines and they drain into a bucket!! That drain stack on the right has a Y fitting that youíd think those drain lines would go into (not that that would be ok) but the Y is plugged with a putty/epoxy mess. Thereís no floor drain, nothing but that bucket and a few more I moved to get to the unit. And do you see that condenser? Yep, water cooled. Thatís a lot of water to take care of everyday!

The sign that was on the wall was hilarious. Theyíre worried about letting the heat out of the bar and into the back room. But thatís exactly what needs to happen!

What was really sad was the people in the bar. 9:30 on a Tuesday morning and they were already wasted. From what I gathered they were on a bender from New Yearís Eve. Maybe thatís just everyday for them. Sad.

A skilled Tech would solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
    The title of the post referred to the people in the bar, not just the machine. I know your joking (I really hope you are) but all kidding aside, those people.... smh... idk. Iíve worked at bars and clubs many times when there were people drinking at 9am. But these people smelled, looked terrible like they had zero regard for themselves, and were sitting in a bar that was about 45 degrees. I mean these people were sick. Sick in the sense that they needed alcohol so bad that they would sit in that squalor and freezing cold just to have a drink.

I can have a good laugh about many things but this wasnít funny. It was truly sad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast