Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy1949 View Post
    Just thinking, in Texas to replace parts you must be a license holder or be a Registered Technician . I can't remember if a Tech must register each year as employed under a specific license holder or not. You need to contact DLR & get clarification. You don't have to be a Tech to install a complete system or do duct
    In florida you NEED A PERMIT to do a complete or major Changeout of an HVAC system. Who can pull permits (in FLorida) only the licensed contractor and the homeowner who signs an addvidavit. So I am 99.9 % positive that TEXAS you would need a permit which again a contractor could only pull to do a complete system (its that .01% that can make the difference). Then again, I inspected a COMPLETE CHANGEOUT HVAC system that was installed incorrectly and out of code/non code complaint and the licensed contractor and HVAC tech told the customer you dont need a permit- WRONG!.

Once again a licensed contractor NOT protecting the homeowner.The HVAC changeout permit in most FL counties is only $75.00 and even though its not extensive enough IMHO its an extra set of eyes and solidfies the manufacture warrenty- but I digress and I am off topic.

Post Likes
    TechDave you may want to break into the service Technician area online through building a plateform. Unfortunately justanswer.com and other websites have hired senior HVAC service technicians to handle this genre but there is still a niche to actual service in person from these online inquiries. Possibly you could build out a online plateform that would join contractors with HVAC service technicians and surpass the Texas DLR requirements.

So when you go to contractors to PITCH yourself to service HVAC you also add to the pitch I have a platform (online customer service mgt tool) that would allow a service ticket to feed thorugh a licensed contractor and out to a HVAC tech that has been vetted yet independent. Along the way everyone gets "FAIR" (keyword) cut.
    Homeadvisor, porch, amazon home services (min), Thumbtack, service whale all try (very sour attempt) to do this but miserably fail.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Profjames View Post
    TechDave you may want to break into the service Technician area online through building a plateform. Unfortunately justanswer.com and other websites have hired senior HVAC service technicians to handle this genre but there is still a niche to actual service in person from these online inquiries. Possibly you could build out a online plateform that would join contractors with HVAC service technicians and surpass the Texas DLR requirements.

So when you go to contractors to PITCH yourself to service HVAC you also add to the pitch I have a platform (online customer service mgt tool) that would allow a service ticket to feed thorugh a licensed contractor and out to a HVAC tech that has been vetted yet independent. Along the way everyone gets "FAIR" (keyword) cut.
    Homeadvisor, porch, amazon home services (min), Thumbtack, service whale all try (very sour attempt) to do this but miserably fail.
    He then must be a license holder to say he has other techs availible & all of these techs must be registered with Texas Dept of License & Regulation unless only doing complete installs, no service

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Profjames View Post
    Hence what the original OP was "angling" to develop with a contractor. The INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR on 1099 (misc) can never be told what, who they can service hence the word independent contractor.
    He's looking to do this on the side. He'll work his regular day job, and then moon light for other companies in the evening.

From post #3.
    Not looking to consult if that's what you were thinking. More like I run calls for a company around the hours that i'm available which would be 2nd or 3rd shift. Basically running after hours emergency calls. Not looking to get actually hired on with a company unless they are ok with my availability.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Just work OT!

7. Likes techdave liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Most companies will fire someone when they find out that you are doing work for other companies after hours.
    Mine would for sure. I would serve out my two weeks before I would consider this.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    He's looking to do this on the side. He'll work his regular day job, and then moon light for other companies in the evening.

From post #3.
    I never mention the full details on how I would go about this but ok. I see where you might think that when I say I would be looking for 2nd or 3rd shift. All that I will add is that I would serve out my two weeks at the currently company I work for before I would consider this. Thanks for your input though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Time to be a full time SubContractor/business owner

I have considered this so many times it's not funny. The main reason I would do it is because I believe I can do better than all the companies around here. But then I realize that I wouldn't be just a service tech anymore and I would have so much more on my plate. I know myself and I've decided to wait.

Post Likes
    I do not see how this would work. I have never seen it done. If you have a decent job, you should keep it. I do not think that any company would send you out to do service on their existing customers. Unless maybe you worked for them for a few years and when you threatened to leave you were able to make a sub-contract deal with the owner. He would send you to customers that you worked on before when and employee.

As far as going out on your own, it is a far cry from being a great technician to being a successful business owner. a lot more work involved.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    Techdave, I agree with joemach it's a "different type of work" more work? maybe-> if you don't have the skillset and skin in the game.
    One of my many careers, I was a wine distributor/and wine distributor owner in Tampa, FL. I changed the industry in several ways.
    It sounds like you want to be a business owner, entrepreneur and change the HVAC industry. Go for it. Don't! let anyone tell you that you have to settle for working for a company, person or system. Took me many years of figuring out my passions and turning them into a living. I found out I didn’t want to work for anyone of what I could build and do better.

1. I took my previous 15 years of IT software development (back in the 80's/90's) and changed the alcohol distribution process of the three 3 tier system-legally! in the state of FL. This was the time when alcohol distribution laws were changing state by state for online (website) selling and in controversy of selling wine/alcohol online through websites was percolating- wine.com was in its first year
    2. I then had to learn about the wine industry- and the mafia organizations behind the machine and deal with the AB&T-heavy taxation.
    3. I also learned refrigeration and extended my college back ground in HVAC so that I could build and service my own refrigeration systems for my wine inventory.

All said and done I sold the distribution software to one of my competitors * who actually threaten to put me out of business at one time. Saying goes:
    “Never interrupt your enemy (competitor) when he is making a mistake.”

I share all this because you said several things (s): "I believe I can do better than all the companies around here", that's a great attitude to put in actual motion. I said the similar line based on my research in the wine and distribution industry:
    "wine should not cost $50 a bottle when it's being made the same way as the $2.00 bottle* in most cases!!" & how does the little estate winery (trying to survive) become known nationally if they have their hands tied in the 3-tier government system of wine distribution- not fair.
    The entire business concept came into play when I was an oncologist (winemaker).
    CONCLUSION:
    I see a similar missing or broken niche in the RESIDENTIAL service area of HVAC- that possibly you have experienced. Residential HVAC is poorly serviced and overpriced in the Tampa, FL market. By poorly serviced: I mean you have overworked and under-paid HVAC techs who get taken advantage of by the FL contractors due to how the FL licensing of a contractor is set up- the ethics and business standards are subpar. Then you have the EPA changing refrigerant standards/protocols and the trickle-down theory of how that effects the end-consumer and servicing. Then the over design and costs of an residential HVAC systems that are poorly and inefficiently installed. (I don't want to get in a debate on EPA refrigerant protocols- I agree on the science of refrigerants harming/deteriorating the atmosphere- I disagree on the machine(s) behind the scenes that govern the refrigerant protocols of the clean air act).

That ALL said, my advice, since you're looking for advice on this forum and through the post: get a contractors license in HVAC, however, utilize it differently by building out a service platform for just HVAC technicians who want to service HVAC. The saying "build it and they will come". Dont rely on someone to agree with you- build it first - then they have no choice to agree or be a bystandard. There is too much noise on this forum and other places that will tell you to settle. Dont.

I have some ideas on how the HVAC platform would operate. I have been there before, different industry, same concept.

Keep us posted on your next steps, sounds exciting.

13. Likes joemach liked this post
    Post Likes
    If it were just a simple question of can a company do tech work for contractors the simple answer is yes. A percentage of my business was just that. Refer piping, warranties, failures and one that liked me to signal his crane drops. Go figure?
    Most mechanical contractors here don't have the techs on board and don't really understand that part of the business. They were never involved with it and left it to others.
    One contractor told me it was simply cheaper to have me do their start up's and any problems within the warranty period. Their guys didn't want anything to do with service and caused more problems. I don't blame them as I had those thoughts too.
    I charged the same labor rate but gave a break on parts because I knew they could buy parts too. I charged the same for labor because I would make that same money
    normally. So there is money there but contractors will need to be convinced it's in their best interests.
    How often do you hear contractors trying to run the warranty out. So many jobs have bad customer feelings at the end and contractors just want out. Convince them the best way out is to have everything working.
    Anything built to code is built to the minimum legal standard

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    techdave
    I'm a dinosaur and do little to nothing with social media, what is a face book technician" group? I guess I don't understand what you are trying to do.

You're in Texas. Are you a registered or certified HVAC technician with the State of Texas? I understand in Texas you do not need to have a license to be an HVAC technician but you must be registered and be employed (work under the direct supervision) of a HVAC Licensed Contractor to perform work on HVAC equipment. To obtain a license, or sit for the license test the first thing you need is 48 months (or about 8,000 hours) of documented on the job experience in Texas

To do as you want; To work as an HVAC tech, you need to be able to show the main contractor you have training & experience to perform the actual jobs they would send you on.

Do you have any documented HVAC training? Do you have any on the job HVAC training like an apprenticeship? Do you actually work for a licensed HVAC Contractor? Do you qualify to take the Texas Licensed Contractor Test? Things you can show the main contractor to prove you can do the work.

In my part of the country, a subcontractor/independant contractor is a contractor (fully trained, licensed, insured, ...) who performs a portion of the overal work that is awarded to the Main (General) contractor. Therefore you must be a fully licensed HVAC Contractor to perform Subcontracting work. To work as a journeyman (technician) you must be Licensed and work under (employed by) a Master HVAC Contractor

Unless you are fully licensed Part A or Part B Texas HVAC contrator I don't see how you can do what you propose. As it has already been stated you need to ask the Texas DLR for a ruling if you wish to progress with this idea

I find Licensing and work credential/qualification issues interesting help me understand your part of the country

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast