Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes

Update and thanks for the suggestions so far

More details:
    House is just barely under 3k sq ft 2 story and it is really well insulated, perhaps over insulated to the point I could use an hrv but not quite...
    Old home but completely renovated and expanded from a 60's bungalow. All walls redone and insulated well vapour barrier taped and all.

I live in a Cold winter City in Ontario Canada

I will only be in this house planned for 10-12 years before retire and move north so I don't want the best of the best but I do want to be comfortable for those years.

As it turns out our blower motor has started to act up and is really loud, could fail...

We are in the process of getting multiple quotes now for a new furnace.

Our original was apparently oversized according to the one guy that has come in so far. it is a 2 stage 70k-100k btu, research tells me it is correct as 100k btu with an 80% efficient furnace is 80k, he is recommending a 96% furnace at 70k so it isn't really much different.

Quote 1 is offering a Lennox 2 stage el296v and Amana gmvc96 Amana is 1k less than Lennox
    Quote 2 is Saturday and #3 on Monday. I'm going to look at Carrier and Trane brands in the other quotes also.

Guy#1 basically says generally the only differences are the name the physical box and the most importantly heat exchanger the boards and circuits are generally all made by 2-3 companies.

heat exchangers that are stainless are better than aluminum I believe he said the Lennox is Stainless the Amana is aluminum...

CDN VS USA Pricing is insanely different so that sucks as I was looking at pricing in general.

I know a lot of it comes down to the company, installer and whom you think will do the best overall job and be available in case you need them.

I will update and look forward to any suggestions critique on the details I have posted so far.

I will be getting my 5 inch filter after all.

2. Likes Ga-HVAC-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icunxtime View Post
    More details:
    House is just barely under 3k sq ft 2 story and it is really well insulated,
    perhaps over insulated to the point I could use an hrv but not quite...

Old home but completely renovated and expanded from a 60's bungalow.
    All walls redone and insulated well vapor barrier taped and all.

I live in a Cold winter City in Ontario Canada

I will only be in this house planned for 10-12 years before retire and move north
    so I don't want the best of the best but I do want to be comfortable for those years.

We are in the process of getting multiple quotes now for a new furnace.

Our original was apparently oversized according to the one guy that has come in so far.
    It is a 2 stage 70k-100k btu, research tells me it is correct as 100k btu with an

80% efficient furnace is 80k,
    he is recommending a 96% furnace at 70k so it isn't really much different.

I will update and look forward to any suggestions critique on the details I have posted so far.

I will be getting my 5 inch filter after all.
    Did 'your research' involve correlating the energy used to the value calculated for a 2,950 SQ FT 2-story, xxx city xxx Ontario residence.?

YOUR Natural Gas use [ # of therms or gigajoules ] for each of the previous 24 months could
    validate an ACCA Manual J calculation for a large, renovated, " over insulated " residence.

I suspect 70,000 BTU/HR 96% efficient furnace may be an appropriate selection.

Toronto _ Design Temperature _ 4'F __ ASHRAE FUNDAMENTALS, 2013 Chapter 14
    ________ Heating Degree Days 7,000 based on 65'F.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    GENERIC HEAT LOSS CALC EXAMPLE : 2,950 SQUARE FEET _ 2 STORY _ @ 3'F

ATTACHMENT
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12