can someone explain to me prevailing wages

just wondering what are considered to be fringes when determining my wages on a federal prevailing wage job. also how my pay will be detemined, i'm not a union worker by the way. for example my insurance is payed by my employer, they pay for my wife and my kid also so i'm not going to make as much per hour as a single person with no dependents. is this correct?

thank you in advance

"For certain federal or state government contacts, [contracts?] employers must pay the so-called prevailing wage as determined according to the Davis-Bacon Act or its state equivalent. "

yeah i understand that. if the prevailing wage is 39 dollars an hour and my "fringes" are 6 dollars an hour, i will only receive 33 dollars an hour. does that sound correct? my employer subtracts my holiday pay, vacation pay and my families healthcare costs etc. ?

For more information go here: http://www.gpo.gov/davisbacon/

Prevailing wage is what it costs the employer pays the worker, wages, insurance, retirement, etc. This is usually the union scale for skilled trades in your area. Lets call it $100 an hour for ease of the math.

Your boss pays you $40 an hour in wages, plus insurance, say the insurance costs $20 an hour, thats $60 an hour. Your employer would owe you the difference between the prevailing wage of $100 an hour and the $60 they pay you, $40 per hour.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

gotcha thats how i read it but just wanted to confirm that i understood it correctly