Thread: Permits

Permits

Who pulls the permit for the venting of fireplaces in your area? We do not install or run the venting for fireplaces, but one of our cities holds the heat & air contractor responsible even though we don't install them. The carpenters usually installs them.

Thumbs down trained installers?

Quote Originally Posted by ball a/c View Post
    Who pulls the permit for the venting of fireplaces in your area? We do not install or run the venting for fireplaces, but one of our cities holds the heat & air contractor responsible even though we don't install them. The carpenters usually installs them.

Now there's a scary thought!!!!

Carpenters install them here also.

Double the motion on the scariness

In new contruction the building permit covers the fireplace work. We have an HVAC contractors license for our area. For small remodel projects we usually have to pull our own permit.

In my area I carry a Mechanical licence and it is required by the state or local authoity to pull permits and you should only include the equipment you install on that permit. If a fireplace is installed and I don't do it, the person that did better be able to pull a permit or they will have to remove it. There is no way I would include equipment on my permit that I didn't install. The liability belongs to the permit holder. If you are doing this stop. As the licence contractor you are responsible no matter who does the work.