Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It would have looked better, and would have taken up less room, if you had had a bottom return on the furnace rather then the dual side. Just my opinion. It looks like you take pride in doing clean work though.

Thought about bottom return but didn't have much height. Even with picking a 34" furnace, we had to transition from the top of the furnace at 24.5" wide to the twin coil boxes we were keeping that were 36" wide. So a bottom return would have taken up any transition room so airflow over the 2 coils would be hindered.

Respect! Looks good. Don't those sharp 90's hinder the air flow on the return as well though?

Nice job.

I got dinged in an inspection last week for a reducing bushing in gas pipe, but that was 1 1/4 by 1. Big by 1/2 I don't expect should be a cracking issue.

How do you like the G7's? I'm still of a mixed bag, and a little cranky that my wholesalers aren't stocking 8" black nipples for the gas inlet between the mandatory 90 and the gas valve.

It seems to me that they took some cost out here and there and added it to our costs.

Some models still vent out the top.
    Air by Design

989-596-0133

airbydesign <@> gmail.com

I'm still mixed on them too. Found that the dehumidify on demand on the VS board is screwed up. They are working on it. Mine is downflow 95 and due to my complaining they are adding top vent as option. I cut a hole in the top and vented that way myself. Now they are providing the hole! Don't like the latching on high even when W2 satisfies. The installers don't like the 90s, drains such a hassle especially with the tee on the flue of the 2 stage. I did a A-S/Trane 95 drain yesterday in 30 seconds. Can't do that on a G7!

Off the subject a bit, are you going through service valves on the 410 units?

Haven't done any nordyne R-410. I'm trying to move more to Trane and geothermal.

Are they the same 1/4 turn valves as the R-22 units? I like the valve, but haven't got a feel for durability yet.
    Air by Design

989-596-0133

They are 1/4 turn ball valves. Had too many leaking. Did find that turning on & off a couple times stopped the leak. But for how long. Naturally Nordyne blames us saying we damaged during brazing. Gee, not 1 failure on any other brand!

Were's the Duct Sealing?

beautiful job but why is the supply and return not Sealed? Looks like your losing quite a bit of air around that transition. (hope u didn't put the house into a vacuum).

Picked up a 90+ single stage today. Both vent and supply in the top.

Wholesaler had 10 8 x 1/2 black nipples in stock. I explaind to the counter guy why he should sell one with every G7. That goes in Wednesday to replace a goodman in a track house.

It still needs a chunk of 2" PVC 8" long to go from the inducer outlet to the beauty ring on the top of the cabinet. Don't know if they're supplying the rubber coupling between the inducer and the pipe.
    Air by Design

989-596-0133

Duct sealing would be nice but the way customers are these days, the extra time would be enough to tip the bid to the competition. If there is anything glaring, the boys use clear caulk. This installer is pretty particular so I doubt much leaks. It is an old leaky house.

Moo, I hear you on the nipple. I went up to the hardware and had a custom one threaded when I did mine! Our installers usually carry 1 or 2 of every size, so far have had them. Got a downflow 2 stage VS 95% going in tomorrow. VS80 and 15 SEER pump Wednesday. Nordyne was properly positioned for this tax credit!

Looks real nice.
    Top notch

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Duct sealing would be nice but the way customers are these days, the extra time would be enough to tip the bid to the competition. If there is anything glaring, the boys use clear caulk. This installer is pretty particular so I doubt much leaks. It is an old leaky house.

Moo, I hear you on the nipple. I went up to the hardware and had a custom one threaded when I did mine! Our installers usually carry 1 or 2 of every size, so far have had them. Got a downflow 2 stage VS 95% going in tomorrow. VS80 and 15 SEER pump Wednesday. Nordyne was properly positioned for this tax credit!
    an old leaky house is exactly the reason for tight supply ductwork! keeps the return system from causing a negative pressure condition on the house!!! not much of a concern for a interior duct system though. if both the supply and return is in conditioned space, there's no vacuum condition to contend with!
    around here, inspectors will fail any ducts sealed with silicone... I kid you not!
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

What are inspectors? At least we don't have that problem around here. Just pesky home inspectors measuring clearance to drywall and looking for drip legs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast