Thread: Trane PCM Issue

Post Likes

Trane PCM Issue

Have a Tracer Summit system with trane PCM's controlling air handlers.
    On one of the units the PCM analog output #1 is (controls chilled water valve) is no longer supplying output voltage
    I know the issue is on board as i swapped with another units board
    There is an unused analog output on this board - aop2

Question is can i easily abandon aop1 and use aop2 to control cw valve?
    If so do i need to reconfigure output thru tracer summit or must i use pcmedit?
    What defines or controls the analog outputs, where does it reside, how do i tell it to use aop2 for cw valve?

thank you and happy holidays

Post Likes
    You can reprogram the PCM to swap outputs, but it can be tricky if you've never done it before. You can use Summit with the PCM edit passthru or connect directly using PCMedit software, I would recommend the latter.

You'll have to get into the PCL and change the name of point that's being used to the point you want to use. If AOP2 is not being used then it may not have a name, it will simply be AOP2. AOP1 will most likely have a name.

I always do a full upload before doing ANYTHING else, then go into the PCL programs and find the one controlling the chill water valve and change the point name to the one you want to use. Hit 'enter' to save the change and then download ONLY THAT ONE PROGRAM YOU CHANGED.

It's actually not all that bad but if you've never done it before then there's a pretty good chance you'll mess it up.

PS- if you've never connected to any of the controllers in that bldg make a new site folder with that bldg name or address, then figure out what the PCM name is and create a new PCM, then do a full upload.
    Saving the world...one service call at a time.

Post Likes
    Thank you mallron for the quick post - will approach with caution
    If we purchase a new identical replacement board can we eliminate the need to go into pcmedit?
    In other words will it likely be plug and play?

Post Likes
    As far as I know, PCM hardware is obsolete, so unlikely that you will be able to get a new PCM.
    You may be able to find a good used one in the grey market.

Either way, it will not be plug and play, PCM is free programmable, so that means, you have to have the program file, or you first need to UPLOAD from the original controller and then download to new controller using PCMEDIT.

Also, consider upgrading the controllers slowly to a more recent/supported hardware.

good luck.

Post Likes
    Thank You Amigo - sounds like good advice to start upgrading controllers in near future
    I know I have PCMEDIT ver 3.1 software on my PC with tracer version 17 - have never needed to use it.
    Not sure if if I have a manual or not for pcmedit
    Do you know if it is still available for download or purchase?

Thanks again for the support

Post Likes
    I am not aware of any place that PCMEDIT manual can be downloaded, it would be a hand scanned version if there are any.

I have a hand scanned version of UPCMEDIT manual, which has some similarities to PCMEDIT but not quite the same.
    If you do not know, UPCM was the newer, more capable, cousin of PCM, but they are both very old and obsolete, although great work horses. PCMs had some tendency to get corrupted occasionally, but I digress.

Again, I caution you to step carefully, if you overwrite the existing program in the PCM without a good backup first, there is no recovery from that, you will have to write it from scratch, or copy a similar one from another controller and adjust to your needs and download.

If you think a copy of UPCMEDIT manual will be of some use to you, let me know and I can post a link.

good luck.

7. Likes controldude liked this post
    Post Likes
    Hi Amigo, that is a very generous of you to share - if not too much trouble I will take you up on offer of UPMCEDIT Manual
    This is a large facility with lots of different types of units tied into tracer
    Was commisionded in 1998 and overall has been a reliable controls system
    The unit that needs replacement pcm is in an unoccupied portion of site - so not critical
    I suspect I may have multiple units with same card and configuration

Thanks again for your support - it really helps!

Post Likes
    email sent.

good luck.

Post Likes
    Call Trane and request an older experience controls tech. It will him less than an hour to change the point and programming. The PCM is obsolete and no longer available as a service part. If you wipe the programming from the existing PCM a simple service call will turn into a day or two of programming.

Post Likes
    Very good Advice!

Post Likes
    comfort site has some good pcm cookbooks with sample routines and programing advice but it takes some digging to find it on there