Talking I got a job right out of school!!!

I finished a 18 month HVAC course in 6 months with straight A's, and it really paid off. My teacher owns a huge company that services cell phone tower site a/c units in about 7 states, and he gave me a job as a full fledged tech, something that he just doesn't do!!! I am very pleased with myself!!! I start at $14 an hour and bump up to $15 and insurance after 90 days. I get my own work truck fully supplied with tools, and I am clocked in from the time I leave my driveway in the morning till when I pull back in at the end of the day. Going to school can really pay off when you put your head down and take it very seriously!

Congratulations. You should be proud.

Now keep that attitude and you'll be buying your boss out in 20 years.

Now your education is just about to start.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Quote Originally Posted by troywoodall View Post
    I finished a 18 month HVAC course in 6 months with straight A's, and it really paid off. My teacher owns a huge company that services cell phone tower site a/c units in about 7 states, and he gave me a job as a full fledged tech, something that he just doesn't do!!! I am very pleased with myself!!! I start at $14 an hour and bump up to $15 and insurance after 90 days. I get my own work truck fully supplied with tools, and I am clocked in from the time I leave my driveway in the morning till when I pull back in at the end of the day. Going to school can really pay off when you put your head down and take it very seriously!
    Congratulations.

When I got out of the Air Force and knew nothing about the private sector I landed a job as a "full fledged" commercial HVAC tech. They paid me $16/hr (1998), gave me my own van, tools, etc. I thought I hit the lottery. Then about 6 months later I found out that none of the other "full fledged" techs made less than $25/hr

Learn all you can. It sounds like a good opportunity. $14/hr is OK if you're right out of school, but it is definitely in the helper pay range.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalHVAC View Post
    Congratulations.

When I got out of the Air Force and knew nothing about the private sector I landed a job as a "full fledged" commercial HVAC tech. They paid me $16/hr (1998), gave me my own van, tools, etc. I thought I hit the lottery. Then about 6 months later I found out that none of the other "full fledged" techs made less than $25/hr

Learn all you can. It sounds like a good opportunity. $14/hr is OK if you're right out of school, but it is definitely in the helper pay range.
    Depends on where you're at. Cost of living. A friend of mine was offered a job in PA. He was making 42K here. He did a cost of living comparison and would have to make 82K there to live the same as here. They only offered him 67K. He stayed here with his 42K living better than there making 67K.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCool View Post
    Depends on where you're at. Cost of living. A friend of mine was offered a job in PA. He was making 42K here. He did a cost of living comparison and would have to make 82K there to live the same as here. They only offered him 67K. He stayed here with his 42K living better than there making 67K.

That's very true. The story I related is from when I lived in San Diego. The funny thing is that I make more now in Pa, and it's much cheaper to live here. I'd say the cost of living here is about the same as when I lived in Northwest Florida. If I wanted to, I guess I could work out of Philadelphia and make more, but I'd spend a lot more time staring at my windshield instead of my wife and kids!

I still don't think that ANY tech with "full fledged" tech responsibilities in ANY part of this country should be working for $14/hr. That's not even 30k/yr!

Congrads!

Be ready to get your butt kicked and enjoy every minute of it. The more your challenged the more you'll learn.

About the wage... if that's decent in your area that's even better. If it's about average keep proving your worth more to the boss and you'll likely get it.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Testo... you guys rule!

i cant wait to tell all my fellow techs that we are considered "full fledged" techs, hey maybe you can give hvacstudent some tips on getting a dam job.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

Congratulations.

When I got out of the Air Force
    I'd say the cost of living here is about the same as when I lived in Northwest Florida.
    Were you at Eglin AFB in 1998, or am I reading too much into your posts?

The reason I ask is I was at Eglin during that time, if you were too we probably know some of the same people.

Quote Originally Posted by damid1 View Post
    Were you at Eglin AFB in 1998, or am I reading too much into your posts?

The reason I ask is I was at Eglin during that time, if you were too we probably know some of the same people.
    I was actually at Hurlburt Field, 16 CES HVAC Shop, from 1994 - 1998. Small world.

Cellsite hvac is a great place for you to start, just dont get bored to quick

I dunno. The pay might not be top notch, but it's about $14 an hour more than I make right now. None of the last group of students that graduated 5 months ago have gotten even a helper job in the field, so I'm not complaining, especialy in todays economy.

Don't let the money thing get to you. Otherwise you will never be happy where you are at. I think you're doing just fine. It's double what I made 12 years ago as a gopher.
    I repair air conditioners to keep people cool when it's 110+ degrees outside.
    I repair heaters so people don't freeze to death.
    I shut down furnaces that are unsafe to operate.
    Make fun of my profession, but dang it, I save lives.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

With that attitude, you should have no problems. Congrats & good luck.