heat n glo CO spillage AFTER new glass/seal

Had over 200PPm CO spillage on a Heat N Glo GDV 5000. It had the silicone gasket, most of which was missing, so ordered a new glass with rope type gasket.

Installed new glass and now have 5-10PPM spillage around one side only.
    Pulled and checked glass, gasket, and insert for issues - nothing obvious, no bent metal, missing gasket, old gasket material stuck on unit. Wing nuts are tight and I tried with and without rubber on brackets.

Any thoughts?

Check to make shure your venting is clear both on the exhaust and combustion air return. JB

I have done smoke bomb tests to find the leaks. Most heating suppliers have 1 minute smoke bombs. All you need is a 30 second smoke bomb but buy a couple as they are only a few bucks each. The last one I did showed leaks in 4 places. Place it in with the wick on the main burner to lite the wick and close the glass back up so it should be sealed to the inside of the house. Also have a glass of water handy to drizzle on it afterward. Get ok from Cust that it may smell temporarily. You will have to clean the glass afterward. I practiced on my home fireplace first and it only can be done on direct vent units. Be prepared to shut down the unit and condemn it if it leaks at factory sealed joints. Good Luck

Almost forgot, you can also try the "Paper Test" where you try and slide the corner of a piece of paper behind the gasket in between the gasket and fireplace opening. If you can slide it in you know the seal isn't great. I had a GTI that had a slight bow to the fireplace and wouldn't seal, had the same red silicone gasket. I actually still have the glass after replacing the unit.

Exclamation testing fireplace seals

First verify it was properly installed and firing. Inspect the venting inside and out. On a cold unit, puff the perimeter of the glass with a chemical smoke puffer. Puff the penetrations for pilot tubing and igniter, and gas train. Breaches in the gasket will allow smoke to enter the firebox. If you see smoke behind glass, you've found a leak. Remove the glass and look at the footprint. Is there discoloration in one place where heat has affected the powder coating/ paint? Re-seal and fire unit. Hold tip of pump-type combustion analyzer within 1" of glass and check for CO. Hold probe at floor and look for falling O2, which indicates CO2 displacing the O2.

If the unit is dirty, you can get low levels of CO from cooking dust and oils. Clean the unit with a citrus based solvent cleaner.

HTH,
    Hearthman

Thanks,

I am using a Bacharach 125 for testing.

This unit had the red silicone gasket and was dumping CO around the glass. Shut unit down and ordered the new glass with rope type gasket.

Installed it, lit pilot to warm glass ( glass in van over night at 20* ) and serviced the furnace.

Turned on main burner and running wand/probe over the perimeter of the glass, I pick up CO spillage in a couple places.

Did not see any indication of defective metal or dirty unit, no white residue in unit and dust was cleaned with CO2 and vacuum on initial visit.

I guess smoke test is next.

O2 levels stayed at around 20.4 - 20.9all around unit, except where the leaks were.

Make sure there are no loose, missing or broken screws on the unit. I have seen CO spillage around loose screws before.

Where are the areas of CO? Are they at the top? If so, you may be getting readings from the dust on the top of the unit burning off.

Smile attaboy

Any pump-type combustion analyzer held too closely can actually suck flue gases out of the combustion chamber through the glass seal. If you hold it no closer than 1", you should be fine.

Hey, the fact that you are even testing for CO is fantastic and a great lesson to all. Keep up the good work!

Hearthman