Thread: Delta Orcaview

Delta Orcaview

Gentlemen,

The Good:
    Long story short, I've been asked to support a existing Delta site for one of our clients.

The Bad:
    We don't use Delta.

Software / Hardware
    - Orcaview 3.30 Workstation
    - DCU-050's
    - Mini-Turbo's

Requirements:
    Client would like us to "take over" this site, implement some energy saving measures and on-going support. Why? not fond of the local dealer.

Questions:
    - Will Orcaview program these controllers, network management, etc..?
    - Is this hardware outdated? still available?
    - Any obvious problems for future expansion?
    - Any other known problems / anomalies?
    - Anyone got user manuals for this hardware / software?

Background:
    Hardware I'm proficient in
    HVAC:
    - Staefa (Talon)
    - Honeywell (classic, custodian, 5000)
    - Distech
    - Echelon
    - Alerton

Industrial:
    - Allen-Bradley
    - Telemecanique / Modicon
    - Siemens
    - GE
    - IDEC
    - Wonderware
    - Citect

ORCAView is a programming tool that also allowed to see graphics. Keep in mind that all alarms, histories and schedules are located in controllers and ORCAView is used to retrieve data only.
    DCU is pretty old controller, the newer line is DSC, DAC (BACnet).
    Don't remember any problem with hardware or software.
    Expansion could be BACnet, but it will require to get new license (dongle). Most likely the existing license won't allow to edit graphics (usually this feature for dealers and customers don't buy it).

Quote Originally Posted by thecontrolguy View Post

Questions:
    - Will Orcaview program these controllers, network management, etc..?
    - Is this hardware outdated? still available?
    - Any obvious problems for future expansion?
    - Any other known problems / anomalies?
    - Anyone got user manuals for this hardware / software
    1. Yes, Orcaview will allow you to change programs, create trend logs, etc.
    2. Outdated, yes. But it is still supported. What version of Orcaview are you running?
    3. Expansion will depend on what version you are working with. As for any new expansion, the system level controllers are priced reasonably and can be used as a front end. Do you have access to Delta parts??
    4. Only problems are usually fixed with firmware updates. Look for high reset counts on controllers.
    5. If your customer has the software, there should be a copy of the manuals on there. If not you can access te help screen through navigator.
    We took on this product about three years ago and I've had dealings with several product lines and Delta is right up there with the best. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by GONFISHN View Post
    1. Yes, Orcaview will allow you to change programs, create trend logs, etc.
    2. Outdated, yes. But it is still supported. What version of Orcaview are you running?
    3. Expansion will depend on what version you are working with. As for any new expansion, the system level controllers are priced reasonably and can be used as a front end. Do you have access to Delta parts??
    4. Only problems are usually fixed with firmware updates. Look for high reset counts on controllers.
    5. If your customer has the software, there should be a copy of the manuals on there. If not you can access te help screen through navigator.
    We took on this product about three years ago and I've had dealings with several product lines and Delta is right up there with the best. IMO
    Thanks guys..

1. Good news. But like the previous member mentioned, does Delta use/sell development/runtime licenses? (i.e. I might not be able to program anything with the clients software residing on his machine).

2. 3.30 I presume, is that not a good revision number?

3. No direct access to parts. Haven't talked to the local dealer, but I'm certain they won't be interested in selling me anything.

4. Good.

5. Got a site-meeting on Friday, will find out then. I assume they are like most, and after several years most documentation is often lost.

I hate to ask, but could you send me a manual on Orcaview?

Thanks in advance!

He's talking about creating or editing graphics. If your customer can connect to this system, then they have a dongle. You can make changes to the programs from their cpu. As mentioned earlier, there are help topics that will cover just about everything. In navigator, click on the help button or a question mark icon. (?)

Still an issue?

Was wondering if you ended up working with the client?