Thread: 19xr comp o-rings & gaskets

Post Likes

19xr comp o-rings & gaskets

what do you use on the o-rings & gaskets? 515?

Post Likes
    Don't know 'bout the rest but I use Parker silicone lube on the rings, seems like there are 2 different kinds I'd have to check to be sure, one is not reccomended for the high pressure stuff. Gaskets I just lightly coat with whatever oil she runs on. Never had a problem.

Post Likes
    Dow Corning 111 silicone grease always gets my vote on the o rings. If I use anything at all on low compression fiber gaskets, it's generally Loctite 567 (I know it sounds odd, guys, but I've done it countless times and never had a problem or a leak) in VERY thin coverage.

Post Likes
    depends on the area needing sealing. on o-rings, generally purple jelly. vacuum grease on internal seals. oil or grease on gaskets. without making me look it up, what's 567?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetaldad View Post
    depends on the area needing sealing. on o-rings, generally purple jelly. vacuum grease on internal seals. oil or grease on gaskets. without making me look it up, what's 567?
    Loctite 567 is the thread sealant designed for stainless steel fittings. Works great on a lot of applications, although I don't like it on lube lines. Completely out of necessity, we discovered one day that applied in a very thin coating (see-through) on material like Garlock 3000 and 3300, this stuff is an excellent flat surface sealing aid. A little hard to clean up if disassembly is ever necessary, but well worth the trouble in exchange for the benefits, in my opinion. Moly paste is the best release agent for these gaskets, but doesn't have even close to the sheer strength of the 567.

Post Likes
    Thanks guys for the input. This is a cool website.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    Loctite 567 is the thread sealant designed for stainless steel fittings. Works great on a lot of applications, although I don't like it on lube lines. Completely out of necessity, we discovered one day that applied in a very thin coating (see-through) on material like Garlock 3000 and 3300, this stuff is an excellent flat surface sealing aid. A little hard to clean up if disassembly is ever necessary, but well worth the trouble in exchange for the benefits, in my opinion. Moly paste is the best release agent for these gaskets, but doesn't have even close to the sheer strength of the 567.
    the white teflon paste in a tube? use that on fittings to be taken apart. use loctite reefer sealer on stuff that'll stay together forever. i'll have to try it on a gasket sometime.

Post Likes
    567, thats the teflon like sealant right. I like to mix the 567 with 554 for threaded fittings. Is this common with anyone eles? Rubber, neoprene, or butyl gaskets i put on dry due to the gasket squeezing out.

Post Likes
    Carrier recs Parker O Super lube. Trane recs Loctite 515 (grape jelly) York recs their own oil. I one the other hand am a big grape jelly fan. Thinly coat. Never leaks. Orings only.
    Rubber gaskets install dry. Cork also.
    Good luck.

Post Likes
    anyone use 'carrier's' parker gasket sealant? the thin brown stuff? used it once, it failed, never again

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryjowy View Post
    Carrier recs Parker O Super lube. Trane recs Loctite 515 (grape jelly) York recs their own oil. I one the other hand am a big grape jelly fan. Thinly coat. Never leaks. Orings only.
    Rubber gaskets install dry. Cork also.
    Good luck.
    As I overhaul Centravac's I would disagree with this statement that you put cork gaskets on dry. I reccomend burying the o-rings in 515 and also completely covering the cork gaskets in 515. Rubber, butyl, or neoprene must be dry or they WILL leak, and garlock gets a coating of oil that is not forigen to the compressor mixed with WD-40 (Just enough WD-40 so that it is thin enough to spray from a bottle) This oil/WD is also applied to all components while they are off the compressor to prevent corrosion.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetaldad View Post
    anyone use 'carrier's' parker gasket sealant? the thin brown stuff? used it once, it failed, never again
    I have used it only on flange gaskets. No leaks yet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soucy View Post
    As I overhaul Centravac's I would disagree with this statement that you put cork gaskets on dry. I reccomend burying the o-rings in 515 and also completely covering the cork gaskets in 515. Rubber, butyl, or neoprene must be dry or they WILL leak, and garlock gets a coating of oil that is not forigen to the compressor mixed with WD-40 (Just enough WD-40 so that it is thin enough to spray from a bottle) This oil/WD is also applied to all components while they are off the compressor to prevent corrosion.
    I like the WD-40 idea. I put the oil in a spray bottle and use that on the flat gaskets (garlock). The neoprene, viton , rubber go on dry. 'cept for orings.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by freonrick View Post
    I have used it only on flange gaskets. No leaks yet.
    used it on a lo side float box cover on a 2000t cb. leaked like a sieve. made a new gasket and used a little dte on it, no probs

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in