Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: regret

true

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    Well said Beach ,there are worse jobs out there like vacuuming septic tanks.
    true

no

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    It won`t take too long for him to regret starting this thread.
    no, my skin is pretty thick.

Yep, its real slow these days.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Things are mighty slow, there's no doubt about it.
    Could be much worse tho, you could be in the IT field where there's even less.

I kind of think of this job like the stock market. Might not always look great, might have it's ups and downs, but in the long run it'll pay off.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

I got a really good piece of advice from my high school guidance counselor one time. She said "Don't ever complain about your spouse, all you're doing is advertising to the rest of the world that you made a stupid decision and what a poor judge of character you are". Assuming that you made the decision to take the job you have now, and you weren't forced into it at gunpoint, either buck up or shut up, things are tough on everybody right now - it was your decision. This trade's been good to the rest of us.

i will never work commercial a/c, during the summer you get your 40 for sure and if your on call you usually get a xtra 10-15 hours, but come winter then thats when it sucks, you are broke especially if you did not save all the ot money you made during the summer, it was pointless how you made a bunch of hours during the summer only to needing to save it so that you can survive during the winter, how is a man suppose to save to buy a house or other crap you want, what a rippoff.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

Quote Originally Posted by refer guy View Post
    i will never work commercial a/c, during the summer you get your 40 for sure and if your on call you usually get a xtra 10-15 hours, but come winter then thats when it sucks, you are broke especially if you did not save all the ot money you made during the summer, it was pointless how you made a bunch of hours during the summer only to needing to save it so that you can survive during the winter, how is a man suppose to save to buy a house or other crap you want, what a rippoff.
    come work over here in CT, well keep you busy w/ service calls during the winter

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    I got a really good piece of advice from my high school guidance counselor one time. She said "Don't ever complain about your spouse, all you're doing is advertising to the rest of the world that you made a stupid decision and what a poor judge of character you are". Assuming that you made the decision to take the job you have now, and you weren't forced into it at gunpoint, either buck up or shut up, things are tough on everybody right now - it was your decision. This trade's been good to the rest of us.
    Sorry but i disagree with your advice. Sometimes you get into a job that you didn't know was gonna be horrible. Example...employer tells you in interview...we don't have on call in the summer...and then you find out a week into the job that you will be on call every other week for a week at a time during the summer. We have great health insurance....and it only costs you $500 a month out of your paycheck. How about we care about our customers and honesty is what we are looking for and then you find out that every service call you go on your owner EXPECTS you to sell a new system no matter what the problem may be. My point is.....sometimes you can ask every question you can think of during an interview and think you are making a wise and educated decision and if you were lied to through that entire interview how does that become your fault? I love what I do, but I hate this field. Maybe I have just had bad experiences or want to believe people and am not a good judge of character but I have had 4 jobs in 6 years and 3 out of the 4 have lied to me about major things either about how the company ran or what was expected of me.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac_superman View Post
    If you hate it so much move over and let someone like adamste81 have your job. Don't waste your time in a career you don't like.

God I love my job!
    Thanks man. I am really looking forward to this career change

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    start out like you can hold out

how you figure you are taking that kind of pay cut, if your last job wasn't steady income?? i don't buy that
    My job now, which is soon to be my last job, is steady income but it is a complete dead end job. I have learned all I am going to learn, I am not being challenged I am bored and I go through the movements like a robot. I want to challenge myself and this career I have been thinking about doing for years and now is the time. I cant stay where I am any longer, I look at my 10 month old daughter and know its time for a change not only 4 me but for the family also.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkinforAHack View Post
    Sorry but i disagree with your advice. Sometimes you get into a job that you didn't know was gonna be horrible. Example...employer tells you in interview...we don't have on call in the summer...and then you find out a week into the job that you will be on call every other week for a week at a time during the summer. We have great health insurance....and it only costs you $500 a month out of your paycheck. How about we care about our customers and honesty is what we are looking for and then you find out that every service call you go on your owner EXPECTS you to sell a new system no matter what the problem may be. My point is.....sometimes you can ask every question you can think of during an interview and think you are making a wise and educated decision and if you were lied to through that entire interview how does that become your fault? I love what I do, but I hate this field. Maybe I have just had bad experiences or want to believe people and am not a good judge of character but I have had 4 jobs in 6 years and 3 out of the 4 have lied to me about major things either about how the company ran or what was expected of me.
    Big difference between how you have described the situation and the description from the starter of this thread. I completely understand where you're coming from. I personally just left a job that I thought I'd retire from when I took it many years ago. That was before I was sold as slave labor to a company that shall remain nameless because the only thing I have to say about them will get me banned from this site. Love what I do so much, I wanted to cry when I left, but I left because IT was THAT BAD. Had a girlfriend one time that treated me bad, but I ended up married eventually 'cause not all women are rotten. I feel for the guy, but my problem with the original post is the "hvac s***ks. If someone is looking for a career change I wouldn't advise this field. HVAC s***ks". Change if it's that bad, but don't let your emotions cause you to start insinuating that a field that's been good to the rest of us is nothing more than a way to make a paycheck for people who can't do better.

I really love my job in this field, but the field has been kicking my BUTT up and down every roof and mechanical room this winter. I feel like i can't do anything right no mater how much time i spend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12