Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get in

how to get in

i am new to this site. I have been wanting to get in to hvac but did not know where to look. Do I find a school and go or do i try to become a apprentice? i live in the washington dc metro area the Va side and wanted to see if any one can point me in the Direction

first you must live threw the initiation process.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    first you must live threw the initiation process.
    ????????????????? yea thanks

Learn as much as you can, as fast as you can.

But expect to be the bottom man for a while, being on call every week, tool fetcher, and get blamed for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by actoken View Post
    Learn as much as you can, as fast as you can.

But expect to be the bottom man for a while, being on call every week, tool fetcher, and get blamed for everything.
    that is with most careers when you make that switch.

Find a reputable local tech school. Sign up for the HVAC/R class.

That is a start. Look at it as an investment in your future in this trade.

I would get in to school as well try to get a job with a ac. company maybe as ahelper working with a tec. try to keep aopen mind everyone pretty much does things their way I have learned alot of good things from others hopefuly you will get with one who does not mind showing you the ropes.

the hardest thing is trying to find a school not having much luck on the web

Go to school, get that out of the way and then take any job you can get. Eventually you'll get to where you want to be. It took me two years of banging ductwork together before I finally got my shot. I look at it as a learning experience. Its good to know all facets of the trade.

talk to dick wirz at nova behind potomac mills

i want to thnak every one for the help i have found some good stuff and now it is time for me to run with it

One more thing. If your union local is accepting apprenticeship apps., APPLY! If your fortunate enough to get in, you will get the best training available and at the same time be able to earn a wage. UA all the way! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by djmurdock View Post
    i am new to this site. I have been wanting to get in to hvac but did not know where to look. Do I find a school and go or do i try to become a apprentice? i live in the washington dc metro area the Va side and wanted to see if any one can point me in the Direction
    When you call the union halls, ask what their local unemployment rate is.

When you check out the want ads, look at the pay rate offered.

If you pay for schooling, find out about the job placement (not assistance) program.

Everybody and their brother is trying to get into HVAC (not to mention the guy on Craigslist) and it is driving down wages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast