Thread: Humidifier Rec

Post Likes

Humidifier Rec

Hoping someone can give me a rec for a steam humidifier. This unit would have to serve approximately 6000 sq ft (4 zones, 3 floors + finished basement) 9ft ceilings. Only one handler is in the basement, so that is the one that will get the humidifier).
    Seems like would need to handle a load of 13 lbs/hr, about 40 gallons per day. Suggestions?

(As a side, I would have liked to have installed more units, but have been warned against installing anywhere other than a basement...)

Post Likes
    If you have the electric available, and airflow, I like these.

http://www.carelusa.com/immersed-ele...0D2E4B60ED7A22

These can also be remotely mounted and steam line piped to the ductwork. Within a reasonable distance.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ApplesNYC View Post
    Hoping someone can give me a rec for a steam humidifier. This unit would have to serve approximately 6000 sq ft (4 zones, 3 floors + finished basement) 9ft ceilings. Only one handler is in the basement, so that is the one that will get the humidifier).
    Seems like would need to handle a load of 13 lbs/hr, about 40 gallons per day. Suggestions?

(As a side, I would have liked to have installed more units, but have been warned against installing anywhere other than a basement...)
    13 lbs. per hour with steam/electric cost minimum of 5 kwh per hour plus a lot of cleaning the sludge in the pot every 2-4 weeks. This could be $+12 per day.
    Suggest a couple of large by pass humidifiers with a a 200-300 cfm duct and use the heat from the heat pump/gas heater which would 50-75% less cost.
    This will take once a year new pads.
    The large Aprilare by pass is rated at 5-6 lbs. per hour. Locate in basement with next to the heating system. This assumes that the fan on the heating system operates 24/7 on low speed. To get high air flow through the humidifier, a second duct fan will be needed. You will 2-3 large by-pass humidifiers. A second duct fan is needed to get the 200-300 cfm air flow per humidifier to max the evaporation capacity of the humidifier.
    If you are not ready for an adventure, do not try this.
    I have done with success. The key is the high air flow through the humidifier. It will save your customer a ton of money using the space heat source verses the electricity to evaporate the moisture.
    You could just put 3 by pass humidifiers on your heating system and operate the fan on high speed and get some humidification. May work well.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Thanks for recs and thanks TB.
    Quick follow up - and sorry if this is a dumb question - but I read this as putting 2-3 bypass humidifiers together? This does sound like an adventure!