Post Likes

R12 to R22 System change over

Ok, so I have an OLD Tecumseh compressor that was cooling a 250 gallon milk tank cooler. I would like to upgrade the old compressor to a more modern unit. The system hold pressure, but the old compressor is on borrowed time. My system is as follows from Tecumseh tech

"Your unit uses an old “CL” compressor that we do not manufacture, anymore.

2 Horsepower is 24,000 Btu/Hr. at what is called “High Back Pressure” conditions.

Your application would be classified as “Medium Back Pressure”, so 2 HP = 16,000 Btu/Hr.

This is based on a 90F ambient temperature."

I would like to know, without having to break the bank, what can I do to upgrade the system and still get decent performance. I am using it for cider, so product will enter at ~60 degrees and need to be kept 40 degrees or lower.
    I have the following NOS compressor:

ROTOREX-C182A003B-18000-BTU-230-1-60-R-22-ROTARY-A/C-COMPRESSOR

If this unit will work for my application, please tell me, if not recommend something I can use.
    Thanks

Post Likes
    Why R-22 Its phased out in 2 years. Who’s changing the compressor?

Get a new condensing unit.

You really needs a contractor on site to properly size the unit

3. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    I am having a certified HVAC tech put in the unit, I have plenty of access to R22 and there is a glutton of R22 compressors out there. Even though R22 will be phased out, I would bet it will it will be available as there are MILLIONS of R22 units still in service.
    I see guys that post on this forum say that "so and so uses AC compressors in walk-in coolers all the time with no problem."
    Can I do something on a smaller scale and make it work for what I am trying to do?
    Any help will be great!

Post Likes
    A 18,000 BTU compressor high temp might be 12,000 BTU @ med temp.

Not going to work.

6. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by r8f1k View Post
    I am having a certified HVAC tech put in the unit, I have plenty of access to R22 and there is a glutton of R22 compressors out there. Even though R22 will be phased out, I would bet it will it will be available as there are MILLIONS of R22 units still in service.
    I see guys that post on this forum say that "so and so uses AC compressors in walk-in coolers all the time with no problem."
    Can I do something on a smaller scale and make it work for what I am trying to do?
    Any help will be great!
    r8f1k,

I'm not trying to stir any trouble up, but in your post, You've Stated who You should be talking this over with, ... Your "certified HVAC tech".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    r8f1k,

I'm not trying to stir any trouble up, but in your post, You've Stated who You should be talking this over with, ... Your "certified HVAC tech".
    With all that available R-22 I’d retire!

9. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    He probably means all that "R22a"
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Jtrammel - "I’m going to sell hvac systems derp derp derp"
    BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

Post Likes
    I havent bought 22 in a year now....but ok bud. Most of us switched to another refrigerant because the price went up to Gold.

Personally, id match up a compressor that uses 134

Post Likes
    Or use hotshot 2. Works well with small bulk tanks.
    R22 will run way higher pressures than tank was ever designed for when new. Whats going to happen after 40 years of rust on tubing in tank?
    Penny wise and dollar foolish!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Indeed pec, the cheapest that I've seen a 30 pounder over the past month is a lil' under $900.00

Post Likes
    I think that 134a or 404a should be considered even though it too will be phased out.

If the tank mfg is still in business (DeLaval, surge etc) I'd get their recommendation for condenser unit and choice of refrigerant.

15. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post