Post Likes

Confused Natural Gas Fireplace pilot hard to light

I have a 15K btu vent free natural gas fireplace in my living room. It replaced a 30K btu I had there before (too large for room). I never had any issues lighting the old fireplace but the new one from day one is very hard to light. I can turn the knob to pilot and press the electronic ignition button for 2 minutes sometimes before i get the smallest tip of a flame.....then I have to continue to hold the knob in for almost another minute before the flame comes out enough to hit the thermocouple. After it does light, I have no issue with it. It cycles on and off and does very well until i cut it completely off and then i have to start all over again. I called the company and they sent me an entire new "guts" of the fireplace. I put the new in and guess what....same issue. This fireplace is hooked to the same gas pipe that the old one was that worked great. I did put a new corrugated stainless steel hose on it because I had heard you shouldn't re use those. I even unscrewed the hose at one point and quickly turned the gas on briefly and heard the whoosh and smelled the gas so it doesn't appear to be a pressure issue. However, I will say this......while experimenting.....I was trying to light it one evening and had a friend bump up my gas furnace thermostat at the exact same time I continued to try to light the gas fireplace pilot and when i heard the furnace gas valve click, I got what appeared to be an increase of gas at the fireplace pilot and it suddenly lit. So I am stumped as to why it would be behaving this way. I might add....the corrugated SS hose I have is one of the safety hoses so if something breaks it is supposed to shut a valve at the leading end of the hose stopping the gas flow. The hose I had on my old fireplace was not that type. So thats the only thing that is different in this setup and my old one that I can think of. Didn't know if those safety hoses could cause a problem such as this or not. Or if it might be some weird phenomenon where I'm suddenly not getting the gas pressure I should at this branch of the line coming over to the fireplace. Thanks for any help you all can give.

Post Likes
    buy a cheap manometer and watch the gas pressure

Post Likes
    A pro can check your inlet gas pressure static and firing as well as attempt to diagnose the problem. You can also contact the mfr. but we are limited here as this is not a DIY site. You should not be messing with gas piping.