Post Likes

Exposure to new ideas

Personally I get a lot out of the forum here but where do you all go to get exposed to new products and ideas? Are ASHRAE or other conferences worth attending? Which ones?

How about podcasts?

I listen to a lot of security related topics as podcasts as it interests me and lets me know when bad things are coming. It seems they have a lot of conferences they can attend, and actively say that's the best places to go for career progression etc. They also have a lot of certifications etc that we are lacking in the HVAC/BAS field.
    Scott Jalbert
    WebCTRL ninja
    AX and Smartstruxure newb

The S in IoT stands for Security

Post Likes
    I used to go to ASHRAE for the booze and b.s. Got a lot of free fishing trips from owne rs over the years.
    That said it's more for keeping in the mix..haven't been to one in 15 years.

Post Likes
    Trade Magazines- The News, Engineered Systems etc.
    ControlTrends.org
    AutomatedBuildings.com

Ashrae is good too but expensive to attend, for me anyway.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by scc View Post
    Trade Magazines- ~Engineered Systems
    This is a little too generic to google, link? I'm assuming it isn't this: https://www.thetradenews.com/trade-magazine/
    Scott Jalbert
    WebCTRL ninja
    AX and Smartstruxure newb

The S in IoT stands for Security

Post Likes
    If I had to pick one trade show to hit it would be AHR which is in Chicago this year. Really hard to hit everything of interest in a single day.

No fee to get in so it's just travel expenses. Almost every vendor in the industry is there.

Niagara summit is good if your a tbox guy.

Haystack connect was somewhat useful as well. Very different side of things compared to the others.

ES mag is mainly advertising. Almost all the articles are written by OEM x or y bragging about thier latest product. Native advertising at its finest.

ASHRAE mag is better imo.

Reading Automated buildings makes my head hurt. Idea diarea...

6. Likes MaxBurn liked this post
    Post Likes
    I don't like Automated buildings.

The guy is caught up in certain circles and trying to push definitions. An example of this is "edge controller" like it needs to be a separate device than the actual controller. Old style thinking pushing it as modern.

And I agree the site design and focus is "all over the place".

I'll second the ASHRAE Journal. Reasonable read.

Post Likes
    New ideas in BAS? Another angle is to look into the energy forums or AEE (Association of Energy Engineers). I kind of broke out of controls (ex, Staefa, HON) and got my CEM (Certif. of Energy Mgt)- do energy studies (basically energy conservation measures - ECMs), performance studies (eg, figure out why a chiller plant ain't putting out the design capacity), etc. 2 Sides to energy: source (making the energy) and conservation (saving it). And guess what? Controls plays a big part of energy savings. In fact the current Energy Manager I'm working for is big on control strategies to save energy.

Trouble is is that the engineers with the PEs, generally good guys, tend to put a big spin on the sequence of operations - try to do a 'moon shot', where just getting to 'high orbit' is the better move (eg, put in a VFD with med. advance DDC controls vs. VFD + proprietary patented control algorithms - $$$). They tend to lack experience in the real world of practical DDC programming, HVAC basics and tend to ignore the folks who's got to maintain and operate the gear.

In the big picture, doing a 'walk around' tour - you've have three areas: 1) the configuration (eg, the system diagram), 2) the components ("A, B, C" - AHU, Boiler, Chiller), and , drum roll please, 3) CONTROLS. One idea is to make them all play together well for good climate control ('holistic' approach). Another idea is to do the same + save energy (and to report it in a easy way to read).

Attached is my recent single-page "Energy Engineering Worksheet" - if you can't put your 'ideas' on one page, it's too complicated (note: you can print it out on 11"x 17").

Another attachment is 'Modeling Overview" (bookmarked) - might get some new ideas going...hard to say...
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Likes stanbyyourword liked this post