Post Likes

rtu vs bad exhaust fan

was here for another unit, no heat call, bad belt caused it to lock out on limit fault. checked other units' belts as well. Thought I saw compressor oil leakingout the compressor door on the kitchen rtu.

Nope. that's grease. the exhaust fan had crapped out and all the grease must have been sucked up into this unit. Nasty. The grease was literally dripping out the filter trays.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

2. Likes HVAC_Marc, JohninJoliet, DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    what's in the box next to the compressor?
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Jtrammel - "I’m going to sell hvac systems derp derp derp"
    BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

Post Likes
    probably the nat gas and leftover propane conversion parts, I always leave that stuff w/ systems I install.

The exhaust fan was apart on other side unit, looks like heavy machine grease all inside the intake of blower housing, could use some love on that machine, too.

5. Likes HVAC_Marc, DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    probably the nat gas and leftover propane conversion parts, I always leave that stuff w/ systems I install.
    Or the economizer actuator that was supposed to be installed, but never was, five years ago.

Post Likes
    No worrys it is a york with a simplicity control.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    They didn't spring for the econos, bought three rtus at once and were remodeling building also. That's like free cooling, who doesn't like free a/c?

9. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    They didn't spring for the econos, bought three rtus at once and were remodeling building also. That's like free cooling, who doesn't like free a/c?

Cheapskate landlords who have to pay to replace the equipment, but the tenant pays the electric bill as part of the lease. Remodeling? Betcha they didn't want to take this ideal opportunity to fix some ductwork issues, too. Right?

Just yesterday I got approval to fix a 30+ year old Lennox ZoneMaster system that I’ve been writing up for months. Why they just approved it? “Tenant just renewed lease” Um, ok. I guess they didn’t matter before the that? No matter that many of the parts are NLA, they’re not going to spend the money to replace it.

It’s frustrating to see commercial buildings bought, cared for, and sold in exactly the same manner as house-flippers. They don’t care about anything but the next quarter.

11. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    I worked on several "Dollar Generals" in Brown & Adams Counties, Ohio.

At first it was Minor issues, but a lot of arguing with Corporate about their Payment Process.

I then got 2 "No Cooling" Calls, & when I went up in to the attic, to find why there was No Air Flow (No 90s at start & termination of the Supply Runs), & Flex collapsed upon itself, I then went to the units in the Storage Room.

LMAO! Both stores, turned out to be some of the Finest HACK Work, that I've ever seen! the Condensate drain & the Relief valve from the DHW were piped together via copper. The Supplies had collapsed at the S/A Plenum (No 90s & No Support for the Flex), . The Black Iron Gas Supply to the two furnaces & DHW was 3/4" with only ONE Shut-off Valve for all 3 units & neither unit had a "Drip Leg" in the Gas Supply, The A.C. Units didn't have Traps in the Condensate line & both had water pouring down in the units, Neither furnace had a disconnect within sight, & turning them off could only be done at the breaker, The Condensing units were placed on "round decorative patio steps" & rain from a down spout had washed them out, The Condensing units only had "Non-fused Disconnects". & this is not all of the "Fine Work" that I found.

Both the Mt. Orab Store & the Georgetown Store were Identically Installed.

One compressor on the A.C, literally blew out the terminal block, at the Mt. Orab Store, & another Compressor at the Georgetown store had burned the wires off of it.

The Managers asked me "How Soon before the air is on?", & I told then about all of the problems, & that I couldn't do anything till I heard from Corporate, & I then showed them a great deal of what I had found, & then asked them if the "Prints" were still at the Stores, & also where were the State Approval Stickers for all of the work.

There were none.

Dollar General "Shot gunned" these stores in with out a State Inspection.

I called Corporate, & told (I Forget her name, but she was Born Menopausal), that "Repairing" all of the problems was literally going to be an Installation at each Store, & that I needed the "Approved Prints", & that I would be Contacting Batavia Ohio, for several Inspections. She then asked me how much was my bill & told me that she was going to send my Payment "Next Day", & for me not to do anything till I was contacted by Corporate.

I never heard back from Corporate, but I did get several calls from the Store Managers who were wanting to know when I was going to do anything, (Corporate told them nothing". LOL! the Mt. Orab store got so hot that "Hershey Candy Bars", were melting at the counter!

About a week later, The "Menopausal Woman" called, & told me that my services were no longer needed. Well Duhhhh, I wonder why.

As I was running Calls in both towns, I stopped in, & learned that Dollar General had hired a Hack to "Repair" the A.C.,.... Strangely those repairs led to Nw Condensors (Never Inspected), & within about one year, New Stores were built, & then the Old Building were Rented out.

By the way, .... These "New Stores" within two years began having the same issues.