Post Likes

What good are thermocouples as a temperature probe?

I bought a couple new Fluke meters because mine finally broke after 5 years. They came with thermocouples fortemperature readings so I decided to use them. I've found on most occasions it's way off compared to my Cooper Atkins, like 5-10 degrees off. I'm using a Fluke 116 and 902. I've heard the temperature of the meter can play a role, but I keep my meters in the cab, and bring them in my house at the end of the day, so they're always at a reasonable temperature. So can someone shed light on why this is?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    my new fluke was 10 deg off out the dam box !

sent many emails , nothing has come about it , their cust serv suxcks

Post Likes
    For a beaded wire thermocouple I like Fieldpiece. The problem with what you are describing sounds like a meter or mounting issue though. Fluke thermocouple are good the wire is just a PITA

Post Likes
    Make sure it is inserted with the correct polarity.

Calibrate by sticking the bead in a glass full of ice with just enough water to cover. Check to see if it reads 32F or 0C and if off a bit most meters have an adjustment potentiometer or a way to through the meters software to recalibrate.

Might wanna check all your thermocouples this way so they are on the same playing field.

I even do this with my P/T gauges once in a while. Stick a tank of virgin R-whatever in a ice machine bin overnight and then check the pressure-temperature to see if you are in the ballpark.

Post Likes
    Here is a link to excellent resource of TC's, thermistors, and RTDs: http://smartsensors.com/

I used to sell these to industry. Their tech support was excellent. Keep in mind a TC works off difference btw hot junction and cold junction. When there is a 400°F difference millivoltage is generated by The Seebeck Effect (named for dude who invented TC by accident). Consider where you're storing the meter and the TC. For higher accuracy, a calibrator may be necessary but for very high precision look to an RTD or even T'mistor.
    HTH