Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Carrier 30RBA080 condenser coil replacement

I'll be replacing all four condenser coils this weekend. Crane off the top and dismantle all the supports. They're 380 & 480lbs shipping weight so they're heavy and fragile. Any help on tips getting them in and out without any damages? Thanks ahead for any help..

Post Likes
    Lots of screws, crane, and three guys. 4 would be better but it's ok with 2 techs and a newbie. Coils are larger and delicate, careful of the coil return bends when sliding it in with the crane. My first and probably my last 30RB condenser coil replacement, which is fine with me. Two of the four liquid line swage fittings were only in a 1/4", surprised they never failed. All good tho.

Post Likes
    Are they microchannel coils by chance? We just installed one on our campus and I got the tube and fin coils....im praying they last. Unfortunately Carrier was the low bidder

Post Likes
    NO. Copper fins, copper tubes. Ocean close.

Post Likes
    Yeah we are litteraly 100 ft away from the Gulf of Mexico... how old is the machine?

Post Likes
    Chiller is 7 years old. Copper tubes, copper fins, and it was coated by Carrier. 100 yards from the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    Oh man. Yeah that's a job

Post Likes
    Do copper fins ever survive next to salt water? What condenser coil coatings have been successful? (On copper? or aluminum?)

Post Likes
    What's the environment the fins are in? Looks like a compost farm or something?
    danARCICA by Maximus Chillers

Chiller Sales, Maintenance and Repairs Maximus Chillers

Post Likes
    If a "little" coil cleaner mixed with water is "good", straight cleaner must work absolutely "great", right? Ever start washing a coil with just water and the fins just flake right off? And bubbles everywhere? Previous tech must have used the whole gallon on that one unit...

11. Likes tmt liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by T Van View Post
    Do copper fins ever survive next to salt water? What condenser coil coatings have been successful? (On copper? or aluminum?)
    Copper fins do much better than Aluminum near the ocean. Good coatings can increase salt spray time from 600 to 3000 hours or more depending upon the vendor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiller Man View Post
    What's the environment the fins are in? Looks like a compost farm or something?
    It's near the ocean, within 100 yards. No compost or dirty air. It's typical of salt air. Corrosion turns the metal to copper dust. If it wasn't copper fins, it'd be no fins just copper tubes. All three chillers within a mile of each other look like this.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tunaguy View Post
    It's near the ocean, within 100 yards. No compost or dirty air. It's typical of salt air. Corrosion turns the metal to copper dust. If it wasn't copper fins, it'd be no fins just copper tubes. All three chillers within a mile of each other look like this.

In Phoenix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast