Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    That's really convoluted. I know our radius is 50 miles from the shop. The way we do it is anything past the county line is paid for travel. It's roughly 50 miles from the shop give or take a couple miles. Makes it easier to determine travel time. Within the county I put my time to whatever job I'm going to next. I count driving to the next job as part of the job. I just don't write that on the ticket unless I have to go pick up parts before hand.
    It might seem that way, but we are paid "to and from jobs". I believe giving up the ride home had been customary.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    It might seem that way, but we are paid "to and from jobs". I believe giving up the ride home had been customary.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    The way it's explained to me is you don't get paid to your first job and home to your last job unless you are outside of that radius, or in my case out of the county. I know we have a few accounts out of the county but not many anymore. I know we had one in Bakersfield which is about 4 or 5 hours away, we had a guy go out there for a service call. 12 hours charged, 10 driving, 2 working.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    The way it's explained to me is you don't get paid to your first job and home to your last job unless you are outside of that radius, or in my case out of the county. I know we have a few accounts out of the county but not many anymore. I know we had one in Bakersfield which is about 4 or 5 hours away, we had a guy go out there for a service call. 12 hours charged, 10 driving, 2 working.
    Explained to you? Does your agreement say "to and from"?
    10 Hrs TT 2 Hrs ST? You don't need to have Normal Working Hours a.k.a. Hours Worked before Travel Time?

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    I was hired by an employer and they got me into the union as a MES 3 and I started at 80% scale and went into 4th year classes. This way worked well for me.
    jump forward to today we are so undermanned up here that the union is pretty much hiring anyone that walks in the door. I worked the other day with a guy with no service experience at all walked into the hall on Monday and he was working for us on Tuesday as a MES 2.
    Each area/local is different but either way will work and here 1st year apprentices make $26 an hr
    Good luck
    I need to get my a*s up to Washington, pronto!

Post Likes
    It's probably best for Mileo to define what type work he wants to do. Pipe fitting is one thing, service another.
    Just because the agreement says one thing we need to remember that is the minimum in terms of wages and conditions.
    The last time I worked for others I was paid $2 over scale and always paid travel time although others weren't. Some say the disparity between construction and service is because the construction guys might not work the ideal 2000 hours/yr and the service guys are often over that. When I started there was no service addendum.
    Most here know I'm not UA but SMACNA. Different everything but many members in both Unions can cut a better deal in wages if the employer sees value to it. Usually just in the service end. If on construction there is always the possibility of being a foreman.
    Out of town work in a large State is a problem for many. Agreements differ.

As you can see, there are differences.
    Anything built to code is built to the minimum legal standard

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    What is the actual difference between SMART & SMACNA?

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Union is the way to go, but you still need to find a company that will actually follow the freaking contract. My last company flat out lied about my vacation time saying I don't get any until a year (even though the union agreement says 6 months you get a week and at 1 year you get 2 weeks) and I also come to find out I think they short changed me on pension contributions, I will certainly be calling the hall after Xmas about that so they can collect that money from my old company.

8. Likes MechTech2013 liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234