Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaking TXV

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    So do you have pics of that combi?! I’d love to see your repair. You have Cleveland’s at your place right? Those are just about my least favorite Combi to work on.

We had an Alto Shaam combi come down with a similar issue once but instead of letting us repair it they replaced the whole combi. It was under warranty and while yes it was the right thing for them to I wanted a shot at fixing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, here they are.
    Convotherm 4 unit wall crack (1).docx
    They are not even a potential of a favorite at this point, the OGS 20.20 is fine, apart from some serious software issues it had back in the day now its fine. The new one is a pain the a$$

Cleveland is not quite as lenient on their warranty, no matter who or what the problem is, its like a war every time I need them to help me sort something out. I could understand that, as much as I love fixing these "impossible" scenarios I shouldn't have to only 2 years in, its crazy to me. Tech support is all short answers and no additional information, 1 or 2 of the tech support guys really try, but that;s about it.

I want to get Alto-Shaams are they as good as they seem?

Post Likes
    I’m having trouble opening that link. I’ll try on my laptop later.

Alto-Shaams are very nice but Rational probably makes the best combi in my opinion. They are a close 1-2. I think Alto-Shaam has better support but Rational seems to cover everything under warranty. Things that I’d never think in a million years they should cover, they do.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    I’m having trouble opening that link. I’ll try on my laptop later.

Alto-Shaams are very nice but Rational probably makes the best combi in my opinion. They are a close 1-2. I think Alto-Shaam has better support but Rational seems to cover everything under warranty. Things that I’d never think in a million years they should cover, they do.
    Interesting, I don't care much for the warranty concept, much more on the tech support and having the support I need. Alto Shaam also offered to factory train me to perform warranty work due to the hours we work here so I think that's a big plus.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivero View Post
    Interesting, I don't care much for the warranty concept, much more on the tech support and having the support I need. Alto Shaam also offered to factory train me to perform warranty work due to the hours we work here so I think that's a big plus.
    I’m not surprised they offered that, they are one of the good companies still left out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Back on track here for a second comeback.

Found another unit with ice on the coil and the darn thing is leaking in the same spot!

Must be some kind of factory mistake.

Name:  DSC01973.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  61.0 KB
    Name:  DSC01966.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  71.1 KB

Post Likes
    Back on track here for a second comeback.

Found another unit with ice on the coil and the darn thing is leaking in the same spot!

Must be some kind of factory mistake.

Name:  DSC01973.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  61.0 KB
    Name:  DSC01966.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  71.1 KB
    Most likely more than one out there if a manufacturing fault. They are made in batches or production runs. The serial or/barcode/stamp should be able to indicate to the manufacturer when it was made.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes
    How high do you pressurize the system with nitro when you leak check?

Post Likes
    Normally I'll do 200-250 PSI but this is with the system running, I did not put nitro into it.

Post Likes
    All,
    I reached out to my old boss at Danfoss on this and the below is his response. I also told him to make sure Delfield is aware of the proper brazing methods, but as they have been using Danfoss products for years I am fairly certain they are already aware. Please note that "TU" is the Danfoss terminology for the stainless steel valves they produce.

"We have not had any TU leak defects, so this is not coming from our assembly. This is a field failure. I asked The Engineering Manager and we have seen this type of leak in the field, usually related to chlorine…so he took a deeper dive on the message chain in HVAC-Talk.com to search for evidence of what we have learned over the years related to chlorine. As you know brazing to the TU is different than brazing to other valves and needs some training or practice. If a non-trained contractor did this, they would assume that they are joining stainless steel to copper. We have seen that if they make this assumption, they will use flux and chloride in the flux will eat a hole in the connector.

Spread the word about how to braze TU valves and the bimetal connectors using the YouTube video - there are several of them but this is the best I have seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJisZBjRt5M"

10. Likes icemeister, UmmScott, baub, Jim1959 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Wow, well I appreciate you doing that. Always nice to get an answer to these questions.

Makes sense though. it didn't even occur to me I would need flux for this, which I guess is a good thing in this case.

I guess Delfield is using flux then?

Post Likes
    Wow, well I appreciate you doing that. Always nice to get an answer to these questions.

Makes sense though. it didn't even occur to me I would need flux for this, which I guess is a good thing in this case.

I guess Delfield is using flux then?
    Delfield has been using Danfoss products for years, so I doubt they are using flux on the txv itself. However, maybe they are using flux on a different joint in the system now that it is propane?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    Delfield has been using Danfoss products for years, so I doubt they are using flux on the txv itself. However, maybe they are using flux on a different joint in the system now that it is propane?
    Not sure, this unit is 404a, not propane.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12