Post Likes

Simple low voltage Demand Controller?

So, I have a large industrial space that has 4 large electric heaters controlled by normal 24 volt thermostats. Each heater does a different part of the space but there are open areas connecting them. In Jan and Feb they all fire up and trip my demand fee from the energy provider. Is there a simple way to control these so only 1 or 2 can fire at a time? I can't see any safety issue by doing this but what do you think? In my mind something as simple as only allowing 1 or 2 of the white wires to energize at 1 time would do the trick but then it would need to rotate after 15 minutes or so

Thank You -- Coop

Post Likes
    Why Electric?

Yes staging can be done.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your message.
    No gas in the neighborhood and propane is not an option.
    I don't mind paying the bill to heat it but that demand fee just irks me.
    So on a really cold day people will have to keep their jackets on.
    Are you allowed to suggest staging equipment?
    I have z-wave which would work with some isolated relays but I would rather see a professional control.
    Should I ask this in the control section?
    I can easily have the low voltage wires centrally located.
    I really don't want to add the complexity of a high voltage relay setup

Thanks -- Coop

Post Likes
    Oil and Propane are still cheaper then straight electric especially with a peak charge.

I wont get into details in a open area. Any decent contractor can do it along with ways to cut the electric bills!

Post Likes
    I thought to update this in case anyone else needs to go here.

The z-wave solution works. It took a week to find an HVAC contractor who spoke z-wave because z-wave people do not talk HVAC. The others either didn't know about demand charges or wanted to go with a high end monitoring service. The install for 4 units was $450 (all low voltage HVAC wise) and well within budget.

The hard part turned out to be programming the controller. I went with the Samsung Hub because I'm a cheap a#@. I had to get my son to help write the code, but a solid month of below demand and I'm a happy boss He has it set for the office first, receiving and then the 2 production rooms. The old programmable tstats are still good and the employees can fiddle with them to their hearts content.. I can override and monitor all from my phone.

The employees were sharpening their claws the other day when it was 19 degrees outside and only 61 inside but by lunch time the heaters caught up and all was copacetic. Bonus vs comfort = hmmm

Until they make an off the counter solution this does all I wanted

--Coop