Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    On my second set of these "little babies" as I call them. On the first set I had the clutch go out between first and second gear on the drill. I use it quite a bit when drilling through "tank metal." Over all, I love them. Though, I have not seen a price of 120 or even close around these parts...179 here.

still looking for a belt clip of some type for them...may have to come up with my own thing

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    still looking for a belt clip of some type for them...may have to come up with my own thing
    I have seen holsters for drills that might work at Harbor Freight...the best place for cheapos/expendable tools imo...or you could try your local gun store for a real semi custom holster, there are hundreds to choose from.
    I just put mine in the top of my 4 footer or in my pants pocket if need be.

i came close to buying that combo. but i want more power. i use makita exclusively, great tools. i bought my first combo 5 yrs. ago cuz the brushes were externally accessible. ive put two sets of brushes in my drill.a couple days ago one of my batteries finally died. now im lookin at an 18v combo with circ. saw, sawzall, hammer drill, and impact.

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    i came close to buying that combo. but i want more power. i use makita exclusively, great tools. i bought my first combo 5 yrs. ago cuz the brushes were externally accessible. ive put two sets of brushes in my drill.a couple days ago one of my batteries finally died. now im lookin at an 18v combo with circ. saw, sawzall, hammer drill, and impact.
    I hear you on the power. I have my Dewalt 18v NiCd combo kit for that however. I went with the Dewalt as a tool replacement because I had a real problem with lithium ion batteries not charging properly in 0 degree weather...my Rigid 24v took a trip to the pooper on me in the middle of a job which stunk, no pun intended. NiCd holds up better imo in adverse weather. The obvious draw back however is the weight but if thats an issue, I got the "little babies." It seems though that the newer Li Ion batteries are designed to be better in lower temps but...money is great when you have no kids to feed...

What kind of charging problems? Just not taking a charge or what? I was all excited about going from nicd to LiIon. Will i be disappointed?

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    What kind of charging problems? Just not taking a charge or what? I was all excited about going from nicd to LiIon. Will i be disappointed?
    I'm just going off of personal experience with a Rigid 24v combo pack...which came out a few years back. But yes, the batteries both gave out on me and Rigid wanted 150 dollars a piece to replace them. So...I went with the old stand by in Dewalt. Their sawzall is the best imo and the batteries just need a few min after coming in from the extreme temps to start charging.

I will say however, that I have never had an issue with the 10.8 Makita's...as far as charging goes. Like I said I have read that manufacturers have re-tooled the design in Li Ion to make them less susceptible to frigid temps.

I would not discourage you from going Li Ion by any means. You should be just fine.

if you leave these makitas in your truck overnight in 0*f temperatures do they still work in the morning?

ive got the bosch impact driver and i had this problem all winter long. id have to bring them in at night to charge them and try to keep them warm while im on a rooftop or they wouldnt work.
    HVAC PRO IN THE MAKING
    NATE's:
    Gas Heat Service/ Installation
    Air-to-Air Heat Pump Service/ Installation
    Air Conditioning Service/ Installation

Quote Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
    if you leave these makitas in your truck overnight in 0*f temperatures do they still work in the morning?

ive got the bosch impact driver and i had this problem all winter long. id have to bring them in at night to charge them and try to keep them warm while im on a rooftop or they wouldnt work.
    Mine worked reasonably well...but I can count on one finger how many roof top units I installed this year...one...so im not so sure about that.

Imo its not a bad idea to bring in the batteries when its that cold out.

I checked at two Home Depots near me, and they didt have them.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Keep looking they are worth it. Subsequently, I wonder if the Bosch kit is any better or worse? I know it has more voltage but I haven't heard anything on the performance.

You may have to ask for them, I know that they were pushing them during the holidays, so unless they have completely sold out they may have one hidden on the shelves, had that happen to me.
    RSES Member.
    Mainstream Engineering Certified.
    HVAC/R PM Technician.
    410A, & GREEN HVAC/R Technician.
    NATE Core.
    Working not as to please men but to the Glory of Christ my KING.

try online?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast